Seven

I wake up and dress in a bubblegum pink mid-thigh flare skirt and a cropped tan sweater. I pull on my chunky heeled boots and curl my hair and I actually feel really good. I look thinner than I used to and it makes me feel hot. When I walk into the kitchen to grab a water, my mom smiles brightly.

"Either way, Brett is one lucky guy." She nods. I smile. 

"Damn sis. As your brother, I can't let you go out like that. How will I ever defend you against the pervs?" Isaac smiles dramatically. He is out of detention now but still has to do ISS for the rest of the week. It's kind of deserving because Shawn's lip is still very split. But he deserved that too. He is... disgusting. He has marred his body and he has chosen to wear dark bland clothes and he chose to speak the way he does and he chose to ride Jasper.

"I got her when I was twelve. It was a present from my uncle before he died."  

I can't bring myself to keep thinking that, not after remembering his words. I can't force myself to think like that. Where are his parents? Why didn't he mention them? Haley, stop torturing yourself. Please, stop thinking about him.

"Haley, aren't you going to eat anything?" My father asks.

"I'll eat at school. I think Camila is bringing me something." I lie.

"Okay, then you better get there before you don't have time to eat." Mom rushes me and Isaac out the door. I meet with Camila but I don't eat. 

"Hey, C." I smile.

"Are you still avoiding Mr. Abs?" She thinks her new code name for Shawn is so clever.

"Yes. I am. Because he is poisonous and filthy." I push the words out of my mouth.

"Oh, I know he's filthy. So filthy." She moans playfully, winking in my direction.

"Who are you girls talking about?" Kayla pops up out of nowhere, forcing herself between us to hook her arms around our shoulders. I decide not to lie.

"Mendes."

"Oh, I know. He is disgusting. I wouldn't step on him with the bottom of my cheer shoes." She wrinkles her nose up in a sneer.

"Yeah." I agree softly.

"Are you coming to practice this evening?" Kayla asks. Of course, I am. We aren't allowed to miss a practice unless it's an emergency or in my case, what seems like something to help me get rid of Shawn.

"I wouldn't miss it." I smile. 

"Great! You look so cute, by the way. Keep up the good work."  Kayla smiles, skipping off to torment some freshman jr. Varsity cheerleader.

"She is right about one thing," Camila says.

"What?"

"You look cute as shit. You a snack." She grins and I laugh. "Mr. Abs won't be able to take his eyes off of you. You better be good at your ignoring game." She comments.

"I'm great at it, actually. I grew up with a brother."  She laughs at this and we head to class. First goes by slowly and painfully but I try to stay awake and second is the opposite with Camila and I talking the whole way through. However, Anatomy is a whole other story.

"Nice skirt," Shawn comments as I walk in. I watch as his muscles flex under the tight navy shirt. His eyes are darker than usual.

"My eyes are up here, Mendes." I joke. 

"Oh, I know. They will always be green but I've never seen you in bubblegum pink." He enunciates every word making feel exposed. 

"Like it?" I ask, knowing the reaction I got when I first came in was evidence enough.