Twelve

"What's her name?" I ask as we approach the door.

"My sister's name is Aaliyah and my aunt's name is Karen. Don't sound so nervous. My sister is five and loves everyone and my Aunt is just like every other nosy aunt. She will question you about everything but she means well." He shrugs, opening the door.

"Shawn!" A little girl squeals as she runs to his leg. 

"Hey, booger." He picks her up and swings her around.

"Who's this?" She points at me with her small painted finger.

"This is my friend, Haley." He smiles.

"Don't you mean girlfriend? She's a girl. Nell and Dylan are your boyfriends." She says. I snort.

"Niall and Dylan are my friends. So is Haley. She just happens to be a girl." Shawn explains. 

"Come on, Aaliyah. Leave them alone. I'm Karen. It's so nice to meet you. I hope you like waffles. I wanted breakfast for dinner." Shawn's aunt smiles.

"I'm Haley. And that sounds perfect. I used to eat waffles every Saturday morning."

"Well, I am going to cook waffles, bacon, eggs, and some biscuits." She smiles warmly.

"Sounds delicious.  Anything I can help with?" I ask.

"You are so sweet. That's alright. I worked in a diner for twenty years. I got this." Her thumbs go up with her bright smile. "You kids go play." She shoos.

"Come play dress up with me!" Aaliyah squeals. "Shawnie never plays dress up with me." 

"What would I wear? I think I am a little bigger than you." I point out.

"Oh... we could dress up my dolls. Have a fashion show!"

"You heard her." Shawn laughs.

"You aren't getting out of this. Come on mister." I take Shawn's hand and lead him to where Aaliyah ran off too. I see her pulling out a big chest of dolls and clothes and accessories.

"Shawn can be a judge. Haley, you can have this one. I call her Maddie. And I will have Grace." We play with the dolls for an hour. Aaliyah has us changing outfits on the dolls every minute to showcase all of the clothes she has. In the end, Aaliyah's "model" wins out and I fake sadness to let her victory shine.

"You are really good with her," Shawn comments as we are leaving her room.

"Thanks. I've never been around kids. I guess she just reminded me of when I was little." I shrug.

"You used to have barbie fashion shows?" He asks in disbelief.

"Yes. Of course. And I used to make up fake scenarios in my head and pretend like they were living them."

"Like what?" Shawn wonders.

"I don't know. Like going to nationals as a cheerleader. This was back when I didn't cheer and I just watched the movies when mom and dad weren't home. I used to pretend like they were going to school as the new kids or like it was college or like they were doctors. On some days I would pretend like they were in love and having their first date or their first kiss." I blush. He opens the door to a simple white room with a bed in the corner and posters on the wall.

"Oh yeah? And how was it?" He asks.

"Is this your room? It was fun. I always made Isaac be a judge for my fashion shows too. And of course, their first kisses were romantic and sweet and perfect." I sigh.

"Yeah. This is my room. I figured this was the only place we could steer clear of Aaliyah for a while." He grins. "So, was your first kiss romantic and sweet and perfect?" He mocks. I laugh out loud.