Eleven

My head hasn't stopped hurting since I got up. I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Everything hurts; my eyes, my throat, my head, my teeth, my bones, my hand, everything. 

"Mom!" I yell from my bed. My voice doesn't sound sick.

"Yes, honey?"  She appears at my door.

"I think I have the flu. Everything hurts." I whine. She feels my forehead and then my stomach.

"You aren't running a fever. Go to school today and we will see how you are feeling later." She smiles warmly and leaves my room despite my groans of protest. If it's not the flu then I must have really been hit by a bus. She should be more worried about her only daughter. Still, I dress in jeans, a white long sleeve, and a red faux leather jacket. I slip on a pair of vans. I do plain makeup with the exception of my red lipstick and I leave my red hair down on my shoulders. I got it from my grandma. Mom has beautiful blond hair and so does dad, but Grams had vibrant red.

Once I am downstairs, I opt out of food because I feel so dizzy and I meet Isaac in the truck. He starts to play a song I recognize by Sam Smith and he sings along but I can't bring myself too. 

"Hey, Camila." I smile as much as I can but it just doesn't fit. 

"Haley." She smiles brightly, not noticing my discomfort. "Isaac is so much cuter now that he's out." She squeals and I wince.

"Shh. Someone may hear." I snap. She apologizes and starts to talk about one of the football players. As she is rambling, I pass by someone who I don't recognize at first. He has on old light jeans and a plain blue shirt and a big bandage and gauze on his nose. Brett glares at me with distaste. 

"Did you see the way he looked at you?" She gossips.

"Nah. Couldn't see it over the nose." 

"Savage." Isaac laughs, slipping an arm around our shoulders. He leads me to first which I am thankful for since I feel light headed. I can't seem to stay awake for longer than a few minutes in first or second but Camila doesn't notice. She holds up both ends of the conversation so I can drift off into dreamland and I only wake for the bell that sends me to third. I feel a little excitement despite my pain as I near the classroom. I can hear loud familiar laughter float from the door and as I enter the room, Shawn and his friend Niall are talking. Niall is leaned against our table while Shawn is for some reason sitting on the back of his seat with his feet in the chair.

"There's the new badass." Niall laughs, eyeing my hand as he holds out his fist. I bump it with my own good fist and he grins. Shawn takes my fingers and looks at the bruising on the back of my hand. I feel tingles where he is touching.

"I can't believe you punched him." He shakes his head with a small laugh.

"I can. He deserved much worse but my hand hurt." I frown.

"Yeah. Punching someone will do that to you. I should know." Niall coughs in reference to something I am unaware of but I know Shawn has hit people. A part of me wants to ask but another part of me just wants to sit down. I am so tired and it's like if I move, I may fall. Niall heads to his own class just as the bell is ringing.

"So that's my friend Niall," Shawn says awkwardly.

"I know him." I nod curtly.

"Hate him too?" Shawn asks. I laugh but it makes me feel sick.

"I don't hate you." I roll my eyes. I feel my head pound at the action. I'm not pregnant so what's going on?

"That's a first." He laughs. The class plays out peacefully and I find myself just wanting to lay down. My head doesn't leave the desk even while Shawn does all of our work. I feel light and heavy all at once and as we are dismissed for lunch, a wave of dizziness hits me hard. I stumble into the lockers and before I hit the ground, Shawn pulls me close to him. "What has gotten into you." He laughs but when he looks at my face he stops.