The Deal

(( ANGST AND VIOLENCE WARNING!))

Keith had been waiting for Lance to get home from football. He couldn't hand over the torch to watch the twins until the alpha was back. He'd been watching Luna and Kai by himself all day, and thankfully Lotor hadn't found them. That had been Lance's main worry when he'd left Keith the previous morning.

And that was why Lance smiled so brightly when unlocking the door to the apartment. His exhausted face lit up as he came through the door.

Keith was standing with his hair back, as well as wearing all black. That was all Starbucks asked of him. His apron was at work, and Keith hoped he'd have enough time to put it on. Lance had gotten home a little late.

" Keith!" Lance giddily exclaimed, kicking the door shut and rushing in. He swept the omega off of his feet and kissed him quickly. Keith's eyes were wide as he laughed and found a grip behind Lance's neck.

Kosmo stampeded into the room and barked at Lance, jumping up at him excitedly. And Lance set Keith down, smiling at him in a worn out way. Damn, Keith had never seen him so tired before. Midterms were killing Lance, and between the babies, football, and school, he barely had any free time to study.

" Babe... you don't look so good..." Keith told him in a concerned way, brushing his hand on Lance's cheek. " Do you want me to stay?"

" I'm fine." Lance assured.

Every fiber of Lance's being wanted Keith to stay by his side, but there was an unusual voice in his head that told him to get the babies, Keith, and fucking make a break for it. But what could he do? They needed the money.

" I have to go then." Keith looked down. " I put the babies down about thirty minutes ago, so they should be fine." He mumbled. Lance leaned their foreheads together sweetly.

" You'll be on the phone with me the whole time." He reminded him.

Their deal about Keith going to work was that the omega had to stay on the line with Lance the whole walk there, and the whole walk back.

Keith nodded.

And after that, he was off. Lance forced himself to stay in place, and not rush after Keith. He couldn't stand the thought of not being right by him with Lotor out there. He was a fucking psychopath! And specifically, he was trying to get them both!

Keith and Lance called as the omega cautiously made his way to work. Every second on the line with him was nerve wracking for Lance. He was expecting the call to suddenly cut short, or for Keith to scream, or for something terrible to happen. By some miracle, it didn't.

" I love you." Keith told Lance. " I'm here."

" Stay safe. Please." Lance held his forehead, stressed. His head was aching from everything he'd done. Getting sacked at football, as well as studying for hours on end was starting to fritz out his brain.

Lance walked back to the nursery, and Kosmo followed him. He pawed at Lance's legs and whined at him for attention. And Lance plopped down in the rocking chair in the very dimly lit nursery. He let Kosmo hop atop his lap, sighing and trying to get himself in check.

There was an ominous cloud that was hanging over Lance as he sat there. He felt like he should've been packing up the babies in their carriers and racing to pick Keith up. His thoughts were screaming at him to get the hell out of there, but Lance ignored it and tried to clear his mind. He was fine, as were the babies. The door was locked, and it was all going to be alright.

Lance should've listened to his instincts.

...

Keith was fixing an iced coffee for someone when his bonding mark began tingling on his neck. It was sort of like pins and needles had taken over the bite's perimeter. He froze, trying to figure out what it was trying to tell him. He hadn't felt his mark act like that since Lance's car accident.