Chapter Thirteen: Death On Two Legs

Start from the beginning

I decided to click on the company website and check their policy. The last time I had gotten involved with a video game streaming service that wasn't Steam, I had gotten spam mail upon spam mail upon spam mail. Worse yet, I wasn't allowed to delete my account, even after I died.

Thankfully, though, Daybreak seemed to be different.

Note: seemed to be.

Reading their policies it seemed there was indeed an option for membership cancellation and account deletion. That was good.

But for some reason, I still thought there was something a bit fishy about the company.

So I decided to do more research first before deciding if I should actually join the service.

Now intrigued, I clicked on their Wikipedia page and was met with tons of info regarding the company.

But in particular it was the second sentence that truly shocked me.

"The company was founded in December 1997 as Sony Online Entertainment-"

Oh.

That was where I had heard of them before.

My eyes widened in utter shock.

"Sony Online Entertainment...?" I muttered. "Daybreak is the same company that had such stupid policies all those years ago?!"

I looked down.

"Well," I muttered. "No wonder I thought something was off with them."

Now, before I continue, let me explain my little relationship I have had with SOE in case you haven't been to my non-hypnosis website. Suffice it to say, my previous relationship with SOE was... not pleasant, to say the least. Mainly because- well, remember how I said that the last video gaming streaming service I had spammed me with emails and wouldn't let me delete my account?

Yeah.

SOE was that site.

Looking back now I simply view it as a silly policy, but at the time this happened, I was very much annoyed- and rightfully so. So I decided to talk to some of their executives about it, and suffice it to say, the conversation I had was... interesting.

Basically, to make a long story short, NIMJaDOS was in full force that day.

Here follows just some of the extremely snarky and GLaDOS-esque comments I made to SOE executives during that conversation:

Then, I must say, I am impressed by your ineptitude.

Spoiler alert: I still am. That's why I signed up for Steam.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's just a court-case waiting to happen.

Read that out loud, McLain. That totally belongs in a Portal game. Now if only Valve could learn to count to three.

And, of course, the most GLaDOS-esque line of them all:

I am truly impressed by SOE's company policies. One cannot do but wonder in awe and take note of how definitely not to treat your customers.

*cough cough* GLaDOS *cough cough*

Yeah... so that was a fun conversation.

Anyways, I quickly left and joined Steam, which is a much better company. But now, of course, SOE was no more.

Now it was Daybreak.

And right then and there I began to ask myself: even after they had been bought out by an independent organization, was Daybreak still a trustworthy company?