1-800-Cinderella (5)

Start from the beginning

“Dude, I hate this job. How was the late shift?” She checked her perfect pink nails, pouting her lips.

I blushed, remembering Rye and how he looked with no shirt on. I remembered how his hand felt across my cheek and how he whispered my name. I shuddered. “Not too bad, not too bad at all.”

Lesley raised an eyebrow. “What the he—”

The elevator door opened and outstepped a woman who had to tug to get her purse free from the doors that closed it in the first time around I’d assume.  With a final tug, she went flying along with her purse, landing on the ground outside of the elevator. She huffed and stood up, adjusting her navy blue pencil skirt and her long dark layered hair.

“I am at the receptionist desk, right? That would so suck if I made this terrible first impression and wasn’t even in the right area after all.” She blinked her heavily lashed brown eyes. She had smooth brown skin, impressive, yet foreign features and a grace about her that was almost entrancing.

“This is the receptionist desk, yes.” Lesley stole a glance at me and then looked back to the girl.

“Good, I’m Naifah by the way. I’m the new employee.” She smiled.

Lesley groaned. “Shit, really?” she hissed under her breath.

“What’s wrong with her?” I whispered back.

“She’s hot as hell, that’s what. Hello, can you say distractions?”

“Are you a lesbian?” Great, now I sound like Nancy.

Lesley gawked and then slapped me in the back of the head. “No, I mean for like Trevor and other men that come in here. God, what’s wrong with you?”

Blushing, I rubbed the back of my head. Welp, my jumping to conclusions got me nowhere. “My bad.”

Naifah sauntered over and sat in one of the chairs behind the receptionist desk. All three slots were now filled and maybe I wouldn’t die while taking all of the calls on my own. Lesley huffed and crossed her arms making me chuckle into the palm of my hand.

“So we answer phones all day?” Naifah bit her bottom lip.

“Pretty much and answer questions, do whatever the boss tells us to do.”

“I heard he was hot.” Her eyes shone with mischief.

That made my insides hurt somehow. “Eh, he’s okay,” I said before I could stop myself. What the hell am I doing? It’s not like Trevor belongs to me or anything.

“Yeah, he’s average.” Lesley sighed.

I looked to her. What are you doing? I mouthed.

Go along with it. She mouthed back.

“Really?” Naifah’s eyebrows shot to the sky.

“Yeah, like he has issues and stuff.” Lesley shrugged.

“I think he went through something traumatic.” I nodded.

“What a shame.” Naifah shook her head and then answered the phone as soon as she heard the ring. My phone vibrated.

Had a horrible time yesterday with those demons. Will you be at the Hotline tonight so I can call you? – Trevor

A smile lit up on my face and Naifah gave me a questioning look. I stood up from my desk and headed for the bathroom, bumping into someone along my way. Maybe I need glasses or something—this was twice in two days. “Sorry!” I called out and looked right into Trevor’s troubled eyes.