Chapter Forty

Because it has been awhile since I updated (very sorry about that) I thought I would give you a quick overview of the most recent events that have unfolded in the last few chapters.

Previously on What's a Mutant?:

Dylan turned out to be a double agent, working for the X men to get information on the Brotherhood, while also working to save his sister, which he did. Breeze has been asigned to work with Wade on confronting the pending Brotherhood problem, but she is also watching him because there may be another spy within the X Men. Wade kissed Breeze, she kissed him back and now she is mad at herself and is questioning breaking up with Sean, not only because of this but because she knows he does not fully accept her for who she is now. And lastly, Helena was asked by Professor X to do something that has yet to be revealed.

Chapter 40:

~Breeze~

              The next few days went by slowly. Helena suddenly disappeared without any warning, and while most of us seemed rather worried, the Professor told us that everything was fine. I was not so convinced. The morning of the day she left, she told me that something was going on, something she couldn’t talk about yet, but to not worry about her. At the time, I had just woken up and was eating my cereal, not fully awake, and I thought she was just being cryptic because she just does that sometimes. Then she was gone by lunch and no one, not even Alex.

              Wade had kept his distance from me, romantically, he hadn’t even brought up the kiss, but we were working together on this Brotherhood thing. He had some pretty good battle ideas, but I kept trying to remind him that our mission was peaceful and the Professor would not approve of us trying to blow them up. They were still people after all, even if they were corrupt people.

              Dylan’s sister had been admitted into the school, but was under supervision, mostly by Lily. She and Dylan were back on speaking terms, but she still seemed upset with him about all the things he kept from her. While I didn’t really blame her for the way she felt, I thought that she could have cut him at least a little bit more slack about the situation. After all, he had lost so much. Then again, I couldn’t judge because my love life was pretty messed up.

              Sean. I was at a lost. He was my best friend and I wanted him by my side, but…I was not who I once was. I was not Breeze anymore. I was her with another person thrown in, known by Julia. And Jules, well she was very different from Breeze. So different that every so often I would have a thought and then go ‘oh that was definitely Julia.’ They meshed petty well, (which I was completely grateful for because if they didn’t I am sure I would be absolutely insane) but Sean was not in love with one of them. He was in love with the quiet, smart, shy girl that was Breeze. While Jules was hard and bruting most of the time, she truly was caring. She was not shy though, and quick to a fight.

              He knew something was up. How could he not? I had kept my distance from him and didn’t do much talking when he was around. I could see the look on his face and I knew that he knew something was not right with us. I pained me, so very much, to watch, but every chance I got to tell him, I had chickened out.

              “Hey.”

              Someone sat down beside me in the library, where I was more or less hiding…from Sean.

              Looking over at the now occupied seat next to me, I saw the ever so hairy, Hank.

              “Hey,” I said with a soft smile, setting down the book I was just staring at while I thought about life.