Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter 23:

~Alex~

                Getting to where they were keeping Helena was the easiest part of the day. We just followed the directions she was giving Charles. No one tried to stop us or got in our away on the way either. My heart was pounding and I could not get my feet to move fast enough.

                “Alex,” Gene hissed, “not so fast.”

                I forced myself to slow down and walked next to Charles, who was being pushed by Dylan.

                “Almost there,” Charles whispered.

                We came up to a door and stood in front of it trying to stay calm and stood shaking from anticipation.

                “Dylan,” I said through my teeth.

                “Sorry, sorry, working on it,” he said. “Step back."

                We all did as he said and watched as he stretched out his hands and then slowly started to bring them together. In front of him the door, along with some of the wall around it, started to collapse. Soon all that was left was a small ball of matter, with Helena standing on the other side.

                “Helena!”

                My hearts went around her and she held me back tightly.

                “Alex, it’s so good to see you,” she whispered.

                I pushed her softly and got a look at her. Her hair had grown out to her forearms and she seemed to be much stronger now. She was in a tank top and exercise shorts, and her feet were bare. She looked gorgeous.

                “I missed you too,” I said and pulled her back into my arms.

                “Come on, come on,” Gene said behind us. “We need to get out of here.”

                “Wait,” Helena said moving away from me. “Breeze.”

                Charles nodded. “Sean, Wolverine, Wade, and some others are taking care of that.” Charles put his index finger to his forehead. “And Sean just got her and is headed towards the entrance with Wolverine.”

                We all started back towards the entrance, but as our luck would have it we were stopped more half way back by Erik, Emma Frost, tornado dude from the battle with Shaw, also red dude from that battle, and some other people I didn’t know.

                “Well, Charles,” Erik said when his eyes fell on him. “You came after all.”

                Charles nodded softly. “Yes, I couldn’t leave my students trapped.”

                “Enslaved more like it,” Helena put in.

                “Well we went through so much trouble to get them,” Erik said, “don’t think I am just going to let you walk out.”

                Tornado dude then made a whirl-wind. Fighting broke out. Dylan and Gene were both protecting Professor X, who was causing problems for the people they were fighting by controlling their mind here and there. Lily was dropping seeds on the ground and making them grow into vines that wrapped around people. Storm was battling tornado dude. Helena and I were fighting Erik.

                Metal was flying everywhere and very hard to avoid. In the tight area I was not very comfortable with using my power, so I stuck to hand-to-hand combat, which was not the ideal way to battle Magneto.

                Suddenly Wade and Scott appeared. I had no clue what was happening. Everything became blurry. I couldn’t make out anything.

                “What’s happening?” I yelled. Was a mutant doing this?

                “Stay calm,” Helena’s voice said to me.

                My vision came back. Looking around I saw everyone in the Brotherhood passed out on the ground, even Erik.

                “Let’s go,” Charles said quickly and rolled passed me.

We followed all looking a little shocked. Helena’s hair had flaming red streaks in it. I got the feeling she was the reason why my vision went blurry and the others passed out back there.

                Soon we all made it to the entrance.

~Sean~

   “Breeze,” I said, but she did not move.

                 How could I get to her? I reached out and touched the water. The surfaced ripped, making her image blurry. She remained still though.

                Suddenly memories of my dreams came back. How she was stuck in water and wanted me to get her out, but I could never reach her. If only I had known that was really the case. She reached out her hand for me, and wanted me to pull her out in the dream. Now she wasn’t reaching out for me, but just completely still.

                I pushed my hand out and into the water. It was warm, but not hot; just a comfortable temperature. I reached deeper and deeper until the water was past my elbow. Then I just leaned forward and let myself fall in.

                In the water I sunk down to her. When I got close to her, her body moved away from me, not allowing me to touch her. I tried to reach down and touch her face, but again her body sunk lower.

                In frustration I let out a yelp. Around me I heard the sound of the glass from the tank breaking and then it shattered. As the water exploded out I was tugged to the side. My body hit the ground and I rolled a few times before coming to a stop. I could tell I was lying on glass, but thankfully it did not cut into me.

                Quickly, I sat up. Breeze was lying just a few feet away; she was laying on her side, as if she just fell there. I crawled over to her and slowly reached out. This time she did not move and my finger tips brushed against her soft face. I put my arm under her back and pulled her into my lap, and I then pushed her wet hair out of her face and looked down at her. She still had her eyes closed softly, and was not moving other than the slow rise and fall of her chest.

                “Breeze?” I whispered.

                She didn’t respond.

                “Breeze, please,” I said to her. “Come on, I need you.”

When again she didn’t respond I put my head into her stomach and let the tears that had been building for the past year come out. Why wouldn’t she wake? She can’t just leave me. I need her. I wanted her here with me.

                “I love you,” I whispered.

                I continued to hold her. I knew I should probably get up and get her and Breeze’s body out of here. Professor X might be able to help her.

                Then there was movement in my arms.

                With my eyes widening and my heart beat rising, I pulled back and looked down at her. Slowly, Breeze’s eyes opened, blinked a few times, and then looked at me with a puzzled look.

                “Breeze,” I breathed. I started to stroke her face. “I missed you so much.”

                She blinked again. After a moment she spoke:

                “Who are you?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay Breeze is awake!!! Chapter 24 coming next Saturday!!