Chapter 58

When Victoria got to my house around 7 that night, she was ecstatic. “This is going to be amazing, it’s all going perfectly!”

I grinned at her in the mirror as she came over to help Whitney arrange my hair.

The other boys were out making sure there was food and the cake and drinks. The house didn’t look like the inside of a house, it was a whole other world. I had to admit, our work was very impressive.

The girls did my hair in a bun on the top of my head, and let my bangs frame my forehead. They did my makeup and covered my neck, chest and arms with glitter.

I pulled on my glitter tights and stepped into my bright green minidress, looking in the mirror.

“You look perfect.” Victoria said looking at me.

I smiled. “You don’t think he’ll notice?”

She shook his head. “Nope, not before he’s supposed to.”

Whitney sprinkled glitter into my hair and onto my dress.

“Be careful, I don’t want it to rain everywhere before he finds out!” I exclaimed.

She grinned. “It’s you Rae, they know you sparkle.”

I laughed as I stepped into my shoes; green to match the dress, but I had gone and put small silver jingle bells on them. I planned on telling Lucas it was a part of the Christmas spirit if he asked.

There was a knock on my bedroom door as Leo came into my room.

“Wow Rae,” he said, looking me up and down. “You look fantastic. This was meant for you.”

I smiled up at him. “Thank you, I’m sure you will look just as fabulous when I get back later.”

The other boys came in to see how I looked, and when I looked at my watch it was a little before 7. I shooed the boys out of the room to go get themselves ready. I knew how picky that some of them could be with their hair.

I began to help Victoria curl her hair into ringlets as she waved Heather and Whitney’s hair. I helped them with their glitter and makeup, and then it was almost time to go.

I hurried upstairs to see how the boys looked, and when I opened the door I laughed. The boys looked perfect.

“I’m going to go get Lucas,” I said. “You look great. This is going to be amazing.”

On my way down the stairs, I ran into my mum, who was also dressed in her best for the event. She was letting people in who began to show up. Everyone I saw looked spot on.

I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. “I’m going to get Lucas! I’ll send a text  when we’re leaving his flat!” I called as I went out the front door. I got a cab over to his place, and took a deep breath, trying to control the smile on my face. I didn’t want Lucas to know that I was planning something. I couldn’t be the one to spoil the surprise.

I knocked on the door, coat wrapped tight around me. Lucas buzzed me up and I jingled up the stairs. He opened the door and I hugged him close, screaming “Happy Birthday” loudly in his ear.

“You look lovely,” he said, smiling at me. “I like your hair.”

I laughed. “Thank you, you look pretty dapper yourself. Ready to go?” I asked.

“Almost,” he said, turning to go grab a coat and his shoes. I tugged my phone out and sent a text to Leo ‘About to leave’. Lucas came back into the room as I was putting my phone into my bag.