Chapter 37

I got to the finale, and the place was madness. Everyone was anxious and waiting, there was so much stress in the air, and there was nothing to be done but wait. 

I called Leo. “Thank you so much!” I said when he picked up his phone.

“You look stunning Rae,” he said. 

I turned around to see him waiting for me. I rushed into his arms and held him tight. He pressed me close against him, and I could feel his warm hands on my bare back. 

“This dress is beautiful,” I whispered to him.

“So is the girl wearing it.” He smiled down at me.

“I’m nervous,” I replied.

He chuckled, “Rae, shouldn’t I be the one nervous?”

I shook my head. “The votes have been cast, there’s nothing more you can do! I on the other hand, have to wait and see if I did enough!”

Leo placed his hand on the small of my back and led me backstage. All the other boys were waiting for me; when Leo and I rounded the corner, he let go of me so the others could see the dress.

 Their eyes all lit up, Lucas stood up, and Declan leaned forward. Wes involuntarily licked his lips, and Calix blinked more than necessary. It all made me blush.

“Wow,” Declan whispered.

“You did good boys,” I said, giving a slow twirl to show off the back of the dress.

 “I think we already won, lads,” Leo said, coming into the room and putting his arm back around me.

My blush deepened. “Oh I am nothing like the prize that you boys are about to win!”

 “True,” Leo whispered in my ear. “You’re much better.”

The other boys were babbling, so they didn’t hear Leo’s comment to me. I looked at him, and couldn’t help but shake my head. He smiled at me slightly as if to say ‘It’s cute that you don’t agree’. 

“You’re sweet,” I said, squeezing his hand that gripped my waist. “But so wrong.” I stuck my tongue out and joined the other lads’ conversation. They were trying to distract from the fact that their whole lives were going to start changing in the next few hours. I talked with them about all the things that had no real importance compared to the results.

As we talked, a group of girls walked by; one of them, a tall, tan girl waved at the six of us, “Good luck Leo!” she called as they walked past.

The boys began cheering and nudging Leo, making subtle cheeky remarks. I turned to look at him, “And who was THAT?” I asked.

He shrugged, not meeting my eye. “Michelle, one of the stylists.”

“And why haven’t I heard about her until now?” I asked, confused.

“There’s nothing to hear.”

“Oh to hell there’s not!” I said, turning to the other boys. “What’s been going on?” I demanded.

“Michelle fancies Leo I think,” Lucas said.

“And he’s just too shy to believe it,” Wes added.

“And he claims he’s not interested,” Calix said.

“Are you mental?” I asked, bopping Leo upside the head.

“What?”

“How are you not interested? She’s gorgeous!”