Run

AN: A long one. I'm sorry for the end of the chapter. There will be a HEA, so hold on tight.

>|<>|<>|<

I didn't even hesitate once it registered that erasers were here, for me. I bolted toward the door of the cafeteria, which was—unfortunately—located by the window the erasers had crashed through. I cursed the fact that this was the one day the Cullen's couldn't come to school because of the sun.

I pushed my legs as fast as I could, knowing the erasers would be chasing me. One glance behind me confirmed it. I didn't dare look back after that, pumping my arms in an attempt to run faster. I ran towards Edward's Volvo, digging in my pocket for the keys.

Any birdkid can outrun erasers. It's when they release the bloodhounds that the running gets tough. No birdkid in the world can outrun a hound.

I listened then, for the baying of the hounds. Nothing yet, but it wouldn't be long.

I managed to reach the Volvo, through some streak of luck. I unlocked the car, looking around the parking lot and noticing the many shiny black cars. So they anticipated a chase. After that I didn't pause. I slid in the car, seeing the erasers that had been chasing me gaining quickly.

I pulled the Volvo out, and the black cars mimicked me. Then I gunned it, pressing down hard on the gas.

Edward, I thought. Forgive me for any damage I might cause to your car.

When I got to the road, I looked left and right quickly before turning left, heading towards the Cullen's house. I hated to lead the erasers to the Cullens—in fact I just wanted to leave the town period—but I had a better chance with the Cullens then without. But that was if I made it to the house.

I looked in the rearview mirror. The erasers were gaining.

Testing the speed of Edward's car, I pressed down more on the gas. The car sped forward like a hungry panther, easily increasing the distance between me and the Erasers.

I looked at the road ahead. Just a few more miles...

I gave the car its all, and easily lost the erasers in the traffic. By the time I reached the driveway of the Cullen's house, they were out of sight, but that didn't mean they were gone.

I had a limited amount of time to grab my emergency pack and hightail it out of Forks. If I stayed—and I didn't want to even think of the consequences if I stayed—then I'd have to hide, and would never get to fly. I hated that thought, as flying was everything to me.

I leaped out of the car once I'd parked it, then bolted up the steps of the house and threw the front door open. I ran through the house to my room, ignoring the Cullens' confused faces. I grabbed my emergency pack—filled with food and other necessities—then bolted back into the living room.

"What's going on?" Edward asked worriedly, looking at me.

I ignored him, taking in the Cullens' faces and memorizing them. I saved Edward's for last, knowing how much this was going to hurt us.

"Bella?" Edward asked again.

"I can't stay," I whispered. "They've found me."

"Who?" Edward snarled, a low growl rumbling through his chest.

I looked at him and crossed the room to him, taking his face in my hands.

"The erasers."

"We can fight them together. Please stay," Edward pleaded.

"I can't, they'll be here in a few minutes flat. But know this, I love you with the entirety of my heart and I promise to come back when they've cleared out," I told him earnestly.

"It's the only way," Alice confirmed. "Any other ends up with you at the School, Bella."

I nodded and swung my pack onto my back. I headed to the back door of the house, sensing Edward behind me. I turned around.

"I love you, don't forget that," I said.

"I love you too," Edward said.

I leaned forward and brushed my lips against Edwards. They were cold and hard, and I savored the feel of them as he kissed me back. In a minute I wouldn't have this. Then I pulled back and turned toward the door.

I opened the door and took two long strides before leaping off the back porch. My wings did the rest as I took flight, stroking down hard to catch the wind.

I looked down below to see Edward's sad golden eyes. They showed a loss so profound, it only matched the feeling in my own chest. Sighing, I turned toward to face my flight.