Found So Soon

AN: The Cullen's think they're free but... some fluff equals some hard times.

I hope you like the new cover. It took a while to get that done. And the title is the same font as Edward's writing in the books. I think you guys would like that tidbit.

Once this story is done there will be a sequel. But we've got a while before that. A long while.

>|<>|<>|<

The rest of the family hugged and greeted me before I was able to escape upstairs to Edward's room with Edward himself. I was relieved to be spending time with my vampire boyfriend. I had just missed him so much. Two weeks can be a long time.

I settled on Edward's couch as he headed to his complex music player. He pushed a few buttons and classical music began to play. I was mor of an R&B person but classical was okay.

Edward sat beside me and wrapped his arms around me. I rested my head on his shoulder as he hummed the song playing to me. His fingers soothingly rubbed circles on my folded wings.

"Your feathers are so soft," he murmured. He moved his hand down to fondle my primary feathers.

I looked up into his eyes. They were dark and he had deep purple bags under his eyes. He needed to hunt.

"You're thirsty," I said.

"Yes," Edward responded. "I'll hunt in a few days."

"Good," I told him. I leaned forward and kissed his jaw.

A purr rumbled out of Edward's chest. I rested my head on his shoulder again and I could feel the vibrations that came from him. Edward's purr was lovely. I was sure it could soothe me to sleep.

Edward's purr suddenly stopped and his head snapped toward the door.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"The School has figured it out," he hissed.

"Figured out what?" I wondered, confused at what he was getting out.

"That we're not human and that you came back to here." He growled loudly, and the sound reminded me of an aggressive dog.

I gasped, that had been fast.

"I would have thought I'd at least have a week before they realized I'd led them in a circle." I'd been almost banking on that.

"Well, we didn't get a week." Edward's voice was low, gruff. "Them knowing there are vampires could be very bad. They could exploit the knowledge."

His words didn't leave a good feeling in my chest.

Edward looked toward the door again. I heard Carlisle calling a family meeting.

"Carlisle's calling a family meeting," he told me.

I nodded, getting up from the couch..

"I know. I heard." Edward's eyebrows rose. "Raptor hearing, you know? It's very sharp. So is sight. But later on that."

"Yes. Well, let's get to that meeting," Edward said with a tense smile. He scooped me up into his arms and ran downstairs.

I found comfort in his cold, hard body pressed against me. As long as he was near me, I could feel safe and loved. As long as he loved me, I could stare death in the face and openly mock it. And in my eyes, the School was the equivalent of death itself.

I focused on those thoughts as Edward sat me on a chair at the dining table and saw the Cullen's worried and tense faces.