"Where are they? I must see them!" Elrond glanced around him, his robes swirling, as though he expected to see his sons behind him.

"You will see them in good time," Thranduil said. "If you will follow Galion, he will take you to your room, Elrond. The rest of your escort will be housed with in another part of the palace unless you have any objections?"

"None at all. I wish only to see my sons," Elrond replied. As the brown-haired elf appeared at his side as though he had walked through a portal, he turned and followed Galion from the throne platform.

Thranduil gestured to the elf guide. "Hyrondal, the captain of the guard, will take you to your rooms."

The Rivendell elves bowed and walked away. Thranduil stood and watched them leave before he whirled and made for his chambers, preparing himself for Legolas's arrival from the white world outside. The first thing to do was to leave behind the silken folds he wore; Legolas's embrace would be wet.

After changing into a lighter robe and removing his crown, Thranduil found Elrond standing by the hearth in the family room, pacing with impatience. He had changed out of his travel garb and replaced the heavy cloak with a tan colored wrap.

"I have traveled hundreds of miles to be here, Thranduil," Elrond said. "And I am not in the mood for games! Tell me where my sons are. I have worried and tossed in my bed for weeks now, wondering at their fates."

Thranduil sank down in his armchair and leaned back, resting his bare feet on the stool. "Sit down, Elrond. I know how long your journey was, and I am aware of your anxieties. But worry not. Elladan and Elrohir are with my son and brother, and will be inside shortly."

"How long have they been in Mirkwood?" Elrond demanded, sitting down opposite Thranduil, his dark eyes suspicious.

Thranduil stared him in the eyes. "Elladan and Elrohir ran away from you, Elrond. They crossed the Misty Mountains and the plains alone in the settling colds of fall, and came to me for protection. They have been here five months now. I answered your letter when it came."

"Protection? From what? They are as safe in Rivendell as they are here, if not more for they have Celebrian and me to stand by them."

Thranduil's eyebrows rose in a cold gesture. "Really? I think not. From what the twins have told me, you and Celebrian do less then stand by them. I understand you listen with half an ear to their words."

"How dare you! You know nothing of what transpires under our roof! Do not poke your nose into family matters and think you know what is best for children who are not your own!" Elrond cried, half rising from his seat in rage.

"I have gazed upon a clear picture of what goes on under your roof, Elrond," Thranduil replied. "And I have seen it through the eyes of the ones it effects the most."

"Drop the riddles," Elrond snapped.

"I shall speak plainly," Thranduil said. "Elladan and Elrohir came to me for protection, driven from their home in fear of their parents. They came to me and begged me to protect them from the justice you view as fair, and I . . . I have given it to them."

"What in Arda?" Elrond wondered. "What lies have they told you? What foul magic have you worked on their innocent minds?"

Thranduil shook his head. "They have spoken no lies, Elrond. You are the one who is caught in a web of untruths."

The sound of laughter and running feet cut off Elrond's furious reply from cutting the air. The door flew open, and admitted Legolas and Landion. Legolas hurled himself into Thranduil's lap and hugged him. He sat back and received his father's kiss with a grin before he shot Elrond a curious glance and moved to the sofa to sit beside Landion.

Harune came into the room, his cheeks flushed and his hair damp from his time outside with the elflings, holding a tray of white mugs steaming the smell of hot chocolate into the air. He set it down on the table beside Thranduil's chair and handed one to Elrond.

A servant, thought Elrond, taking the mug.

Thranduil picked up a mug and rested it on his thigh. "Where are the twins, Harune?" he asked.

Elrond spluttered and coughed on his chocolate. As Thranduil and Harune both looked at him in surprise, Elrond jerked his thumb at Harune and choked, "This—this—this servant is your father? I expected him to have some noble bearing at least but this—this kitchen slave?"

Thranduil slammed his mug down on the tray and rose to his feet. "How dare you speak of my father in such a disrespectful way? You take back your rude words and apologize now!"

Harune laid a slender hand on Thranduil's arm and looked into his son's eyes with a slight shake of his head. Thranduil's hands unclenched but his eyes still bored a hole though Elrond's head.

"A common mistake," Elrond said stiffly, giving Harune a short nod of his head. "My apologies."

"There is no need to apologize," Harune replied, his voice calm. "I was not insulted."

Elrond set his mug down. He turned in his chair, starting as Elladan and Elrohir came into the room, giggling. They stopped short in their steps at the sight of their father, the color draining from their cheeks. Keeping their eyes fixed on Elrond they inched toward the sofa.

"F-father," Elladan said, clearing his throat. "We—we—knew you were coming. It—it is—" His voice trailed off. He could not say it was good to see you when it was not.

Elrond sprang to his feet. "Oh, ion nins, how I have missed you! Your mother and I worried every day, fearing you were dead or injured! I am relieved to see you well."

Elladan and Elrohir exchanged silent looks. "We—we have dreamed about you . . . wondered how Arwen is."

"She is growing," Elrond answered, coming toward the twins. "I am not surprised you thought of us, stuck here in this forest without—"

"We are not stuck here," Elladan said. "We came here because we wanted to. Because we needed to. Because we had no choice!"

Elrond nodded his head. "Yes, I know you ran away. Under different circumstances, I would give you good reason to remember it was a very wrong thing to do, worrying your mother and I, endangering the lives of scouts, and your own lives, all because of some foolish fear. But you have lived through a lot and I will not punish you. This time!"

A shudder ran through Elrohir. Thranduil bit his lip as he saw the beginning of building anger on the elflings part. Before he could speak, Elrohir's hands clamped over the back of the sofa and he leaned forward to scream.

"It was not a foolish fear! It was a real nightmare, and we lived it every day! We were dying from misery, Elrond, and you refused to see it! You refused to stop your cruel beatings and find another way! We ran away from you because you hurt us, and I still hate you!"

Elrond's eyes flashed. "I will not tolerate that language, Elrohir. I do not beat you! Control yourself, ion, or—"

"Or what? You will beat us?" Elrohir spat.

Elrond frowned. "I had forgotten how stubborn you are, Elrohir, and what it takes to keep you in hand. My patience is wearing thin. I have crossed mountains to find you, and I am not happy with you at all! Your foolish actions have cost me much! Now you behave yourself, or I will teach you a lesson you will not soon forget!"

Elrohir shriveled under the threat and tears filled his eyes.

"No," said Thranduil. "You will do no such thing, Elrond. Not while your sons are under my protection."

Elrond has arrived in Mirkwood and already the sparks begin to fly!

Thank you for reading. I do so love hearing from you all!