Love Doesn't Fall From Trees

Evan woke up.

He stared emptily at the sky, letting tears slip down his cheeks. Connor...

A few minutes in, he became aware of loud shouting underneath him.

He peeked off the side of the branch, through the orange autumn leaves.

Huh?

"No, Zoe. You don't fucking understand. It's OVER. He fucking hates me. And you think it's just a joke? I NEED HIM, ZOE. HE'S THE ONE MOTHERFUCKING PERSON IN THE WHOLE GODDAMNED WORLD THAT GAVE TWO SHITS ABOUT ME! YOU DON'T EVEN GIVE A FUCK AND YOU KNOW IT!"

"Connor-"

"SHUT IT, BITCH. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!"

"CONNOR! HE LO-"

"BULLSHIT! DON'T FUCKING LIE TO YOURSELF!" Connor yelled at her. "YOU DON'T EVEN CARE, IT'LL JUST BE BETTER FOR YOU ANYWAY, NOBODY TO FINISH THE MILK, AND A BIG ROOM YOU CAN PILE ALL YOUR EXTRA SHIT IN, DON'T TELL ME YOU WOULDN'T FUCKING LOVE IT!"

Now Zoe was crying. "Connor, please! CONNOR! STOP! Connor, you're being STUPID! STOP! CONNOR!"

She grabbed his arm. "Somebody--"

Evan leaned precariously close to the edge of his branch.

"Knock it off, bitch. Love doesn't fall from fucking trees, Zoe."

Just then, Evan slipped on his branch and came tumbling down from his perch. 

THUNK!

Zoe and Connor went silent. Everything was silent, and then Evan's cry pierced the silence like a knife.

"Ev? Evan? Honey, I'm gonna get you to a hospital. Everything is gonna be alright, okay?"

Evan just continued to sob. "C-c-con..."

"Ev. I love you." Connor said firmly. He picked up Evan and carried him bridal style towards the hospital.