Unmatchable: Complications

"Hi, Sophie," Fitz greeted the next morning. When she didn't smile back, he tilted her chin up to study her. "Hey. What's wrong?" he worried.

"I-I can't tell you here or now. Can you come to Havenfield after school?" she whispered, wrapping her arms around him.

"Of course," he replied, returning the hug and holding her until morning orientation started. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That afternoon, as Sophie was studying her Elven history textbook, she heard a knock on the door. When she looked up to find Fitz grinning at her from the doorway, she stood up and crossed to him.

"You can come in, you know," she said, taking his hand and leading him to the bed.

"I know," he replied, as they sat down criss-cross-applesauce, facing each other with their knees  touching. "So, what's up? Are we doing this telepathically or..?" he inquired.

"Telepathically," she agreed, "I think that will be easier."

"Ok," he said, their cognate rings snapping together as he took her hands in his, "You have permission to enter my mind."

Ok. How  do I tell you this? she transmitted, taking a deep breath before she continued, So... I went to the matchmakers yesterday.

That's great, Sophie! I know it was a hard decision for you, but I'm so glad you finally decided to register. Now we can be hopefuls, he grinned.

The dreamy look in his eyes made Sophie blush, so it broke her heart to tell him, But I'm not going to be on your list.

We've been over this. Of course we'll be on each other's lists. I mean, we're cognates! That means we're compatible. How could we not be matched? he assured her.

Because I'm.., she hesitated, tears coming to her eyes, Because I'm... Unmatchable...

All the color drained from his face and his smile transformed into a look of shock and distress. Oh, he said after letting it sink in for a moment.

They sat there, staring into each other's watering eyes, for a good long moment before Fitz spoke up again, Why?

Sophie shook her head, tugging out an eyelash. I don't know. Probably because we don't know who my genetic parents are. They don't want to accidentally match me with a relative.

For a moment, anger flickered in his eyes, but then it faded into a look of pure determination. Let's go ask Mr. Forkle, he urged, standing up.

I doubt he'll tell us, she argued, not moving from her spot on the bed.

I don't care. We have to find out one way or another. I'm not going to let you suffer the humiliation that comes with a bad match, he declared.

I guess it's worth a shot. But why don't we just stop by his office tomorrow after school? That seems like the easiest way to reach him, she reluctantly suggested.

Alright, he agreed, sitting down beside her. In response, she leaned her head against his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around her.

Why does everything have to be so complicated? Sophie wondered, a single tear falling from her eye.

Hey. Don't cry, he said, wiping the tear off her cheek with his thumb, We'll figure it out.

Really?