The Kiss

Sophie's eyes widened with shock. Fitz, her crush, was kissing her! Was this how Dex felt when she kissed him?

After the initial surprise wore off, she reached forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, and kissed him back. 

They stayed that way for a long time before finally pulling away. It took a moment for Sophie to realize her jaw had dropped. She closed it, and tried to find something to say, but she was at a loss for words. Fitz had just kissed her! What was she supposed to say?

They sat, staring at each other until she finally found her voice. "I... You...I-I don't get it," Sophie stuttered.

His grin faded into a look of confusion. "Don't get what? That I love you?" he puzzled.

"No. It's just... I thought that there'd be a spark this time."

Frowning, he inquired suspiciously, "What do you mean 'this time'?" 

"Well, when I kissed Dex, I..."

"Wait! You kissed Dex!?" Fitz interrupted, looking both shocked and hurt, "But... I thought I was your first kiss!"

"I only kissed him to show that we weren't meant to be! You know how much he liked me, and it was the only way to prove that we weren't in love! I knew there wasn't going to be a spark," she hurried to explain.

"No wonder why he was being so weird," he muttered. Then the realization hit him, "Wait! You mean, there was no spark with me!?" He gasped, the hurt evident in his voice. 

Sophie shook her head. "It was better than with Dex. But there was still no spark. It's like we have some flint and steel, and a pile of kindling. All the right stuff was there, it just didn't light," she told him, tugging out an eyelash.

Fitz looked away. "I guess your right. But what if there was a spark, but it just didn't feel like you expected it to? I mean, neither of us have felt the spark before, so it could've been there, but we just didn't recognize it?" He wondered hopefully.

She shrugged. "I don't know. What if Lord Cassius was right? What if the feelings in our minds say we're in love, but our hearts are in other places? Keefe seemed to think so when I told him what happened with Dex," Sophie worried.

The look of shock and hurt returned to his face. "You told Keefe, but not me?"

This time, it was Sophie that grabbed Fitz's hand. "Hey. It's not like I wanted to tell him. You know Keefe. He figured it out on his own, so I had to explain," she told him gently.

"Sophie, do you still trust me?" He asked out of the blue.

"Of course I do! I mean, I didn't know you had feelings for me, but I still would trust you with my life, as well as the lives of everyone else I care about," she promised.

He smiled at her. "I'm glad you have so much faith in me, but I'm not sure I can do that, what with all the trouble that seems to follow you around. Besides, that's Sandor's job," he teased.

"The question is, do you still trust me?" She wondered.

"Of course I do, Sophie! I can see why you wouldn't want to tell me your secret. If I didn't feel the same way... I guess that could get pretty awkward," he assured her.

"This is already awkward," she mumbled.

"Yeah."

They sat in silence for a while before the awkwardness became too great to bear. Then Sophie asked the question that had been on her mind since Fitz had admitted his feelings for her, "Fitz, how long have you liked me for?"

He shrugged. "Well, I liked you when we first met. I thought you were pretty, and you seemed like a good person. And of course, I was impressed with your skills, getting past my blocking when no one else could, and the strength and control of your telekinesis, without having any training.

"But I didn't realize I like liked you until... until you were... gone," he told her, choking back the emotion, "I had only known you for a few months, but I couldn't imagine life without you. It wasn't just that I'd spent most of my life looking for you, and all of that felt pointless, but I actually really cared.

"Then I got to know you better, and my feelings for you grew. Especially during our time at Alluventere, when we started cognate training. That's when I realized how much I loved you," he proclaimed.

"Wow. I had no idea you felt that strongly about me. You hid it well," Sophie whispered. She could feel the heat in her cheeks, and knew she was probably blushing harder than she ever had before.

Fitz shook his head, his cheeks as red as Sophie's felt. "Why do you think I'm waiting two years before I pick up my list from the matchmakers, and why I want you to register so badly? I think you know I was going to kiss you under the Panakes tree before Keefe showed up to deliver the devastating news," he explained.

"You want me on your list?" She asked softly.

He leaned closer until their faces were just inches apart. "I don't just want you on my list, Sophie. I want you as my number one," he breathed.

"Wow, Fitz. I had no idea. But... the spark... Maybe you're right. Maybe it was there, it just wasn't what I expected it to be," she hoped.

"Maybe we should kiss again and find out," he purred, leaning closer, then backing away. "But I think we should stand up. It could have been our awkward position that prevented the spark."

Sophie nodded, and they both got up. Reaching up, she put her arms around his neck as he caressed her face. They stared into eachother's eyes for a long moment before Fitz finally tilted his head and kissed her passionately.

The kiss was nice, but something still didn't feel right. Sophie had spent the last few years thinking that she liked Fitz, and now that she found out that he felt the same way, she was beginning to doubt her feelings. There just wasn't a spark! But if she wasn't in love with him, than who was she in love with?

Sooo..... What do you think? Sophitz, or no? This chapter was over a thousand words, guys! Just so you know, I probably won't update for a while, because I have no idea what comes next, and school's starting soon.

Don't forget to vote and comment below, and share this story with your friends! Thank you!