Unmatchable: Shattered

Back to Sophie's POV, just so you know.

A few days later, Sophie sat on the edge of Fitz's bed, nervously tugging out an eyelash. That morning, Mr. Forkle had asked them to meet at Everglen in the afternoon.

So there they sat, anxiously awaiting his arrival. Sophie was the first to break the awkward silence. "So.... what do you think this is about?" She questioned, although she was pretty sure she knew the answer.

"There's only one thing this could be about," Fitz grumbled.

"Well, maybe he found out what Gisela and Vespera are planning, or where they're hiding Tam, or---"

"Then why just the two of us?" He challenged, "If it were any of those things, everyone would be here. Or it would be just you. But it's not. It's us. This is about the Matchmakers."

That confirmed her suspicion. "Maybe my biological parents decided to let him tell us who they are," she wistfully suggested. 

Fitz shook his head. "Again, he would only tell you. So don't get your hopes up," he sighed doubtfully.

After that, Sophie didn't know what to say. So the awkward silence continued until there was a knock on the door. 

Fitz jumped up and rushed to the door. Sophie, on the other hand, was startled and fell off the edge of the bed. 

After letting Mr. Forkle in, Fitz went back to the bed and helped her to her feet. She noticed that even though she was now standing and in no danger of falling, he didn't let go of her hand.

"So....," Sophie hesitated, "Did my parents decide to let me know who they are?"

Mr. Forkle slowly shook his head, his gloomy expression telling the cognates all they needed to know.

Sophie could almost hear her heart shatter. Then she realized it wasn't her heart. Fitz had grabbed the nearest decoration off of a shelf, and had smashed it on the floor.

"I'm sorry," Mr. Forkle apologized, the sincerity evident in his voice, "but I have done everything in my power to make Ms Foster compatible with the matchmaking system. But she has never fit the qualifications of 'normal'."

Sophie was reaching for an eyelash when she noticed Fitz grabbing another decoration off the shelf. She caught his wrist before he smashed it, too. She took the glass Dragon from his hand and replaced it back on the shelf. 

Tugging out the itchy eyelash, Sophie sat him back down on the edge of the bed.

Mr. Forkle cleared his throat. "Shall I leave you?" He asked. 

Fitz glared at him as Sophie nodded. He turned to leave, closing the door behind him.

She wrapped her arms around him, trying to keep his anger from boiling over. She kept expecting him to yell, or find something else to break, but he... didn't. Sophie almost wished he had. The silent anger was even more terrifying than yelling.

They sat there for a long time. Sophie wasn't sure how she was managing to stay so calm. She thought she would be the one freaking out. But instead, she was the one comforting Fitz.

When she felt he had calmed down enough, she broke the silence. "So...... what are we going to do?"

Fitz shook his head. "I-I don't know.... Sophie, I really don't know," he mumbled.

"It's going to be ok," she consoled, "I know we can figure something out."

"NO!" Fitz suddenly shouted, jumping up and destroying another decoration. "It's NOT going to be ok!" 

Startled, Sophie scrambled to her feet. "I-I'm sorry," she stammered, helplessly watching Fitz's tempertantrum, "Sh-should I go?"

He froze, just as he was about to knock something else off the shelf. Slowly, his hand dropped to his side and he seemed to straighten.

Turning to face her, his expression softened. "No. Please don't go," he pled, sitting back down on the bed and grabbing her hand. "I'm sorry. It's just that... sometimes I can't control my emotions. And I-I just don't know what to do!" He said, choking back tears.

Sophie tugged out an eyelash before rejoining Fitz on the bed. She squeezed his shaking hand, and placed her head on his shoulder, shedding a few silent tears of her own.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, "I should be the one comforting you. This must be even harder for you than it is for me."

Sophie nodded as more tears began to fall, and Fitz wrapped his arm around her.

"Why don't we just try to forget about this," he gently suggested, "Pretend this never happened, and go on with life, like it would have been if you hadn't registered."

Sophie nodded slowly. What he was saying made sense. They had much more important things to think about anyways.

"Yes," she agreed, "Lets focus on defeating Lady Gisela and Vespera, and saving Tam... At least, for now." 

Ok, that was a terrible ending, but I didn't know what to put next. Sorry I haven't written in a while. I've been super busy and had writer's block, and technological issues.

Also sorry this chapter was so depressing. Expect slow updates from now on, because my technical issues and my writer's block persist (as does my busy schedule ;).

Oh, and if you didn't see my announcement, I got the part of D'Artagnon's mother and the Abbess in "The Three Musketeers!"

Also, I started (and finished ;) watching "Miraculous Ladybug," and I'm thinking about making a Fanfiction. Should I?

Anyways, thank you for reading Unmatchable! 5.7K READS!? This is INSANE!!!! Thank you so much!!!! Please vote and comment below! Happy New year!