Gerard Way x Reader - Distraction

Start from the beginning

"Gee, can you please move," you begged, once again trying to wriggle out of his embrace so you could get a pot for the potatoes.

He just hummed in response and kept you tightly pressed against his chest, his nose buried in your hair. You huffed and finally managed to escape him, for just long enough to place the pot, now filled with water, on the stove. You allowed Gerard to continue hugging and kissing you, while you impatiently waited for the water to boil. You added a generous amount of salt and dropped the many, peeled potatoes into the water. Gerard was still trying to get you to give in to his cuddling, running his lips or the side of his nose against the shell of your ear, while you tried to pull him off of you so you could move more freely through the kitchen.

"The pecan pie is fine, sugar," Gerard assured as you had walked to the fridge for the hundredth time to check if the pie was still cooling properly.

"I'm nervous and I'd do better if you'd let me run around as I please," you whined.

"Don't you think you've done enough running around for now," he wondered, finally pulling away and holding you at arm's length, studying your face intensely. "You are stressing yourself out, darling, please slow down a bit."

Maye he was right. You had not sat down in almost three hours now, instead you had worked in the kitchen all the time, and you were still neither finished cooking nor dressed for the evening.

"I know," you mumbled, tearing your gaze away from your worried boyfriend. "But the potatoes need to be cooked and mashed and the table isn't set either..."

"Okay, listen here. You're gonna go upstairs now, get ready for the guests later and I prepare the mashed potatoes and set the table, fine? And if you are satisfied with my work, I get to cuddle you until the guests arrive."

Gerard looked at you hopefully, so you finally gave in.

"If you insist," you sighed and finally turned around to leave the kitchen.

Gerard grinned to himself and quickly started checking the timer for the still cooking potatoes.

You walked up the broad stairs to the bathroom that was connected to the bedroom. Only now you noticed how sweaty you were from working in the kitchen the whole afternoon. Also the air seemed a lot fresher up here, were no fat haze was floating around. You peeled off your working clothes and quickly jumped into the shower to rinse of sweat and fat that seemed to stick to your body. The bathroom mirror was fogged up as you got out of the shower again to dress up. Gerard had put out an outfit for you, not so subtly hinting that you should wear this for the dinner. You smiled as you noticed that it matched colors with the sweater Gerard was wearing.

When you climbed down the stairs again, this time with styled hair and wearing the fresh clothes, you immediately noticed that Gerard had stuck to at least one part of his promise. The table in the dining room was set nicely, actually more nicely than you would have expected. Along with the plates and the cutlery, Gerard had also put out wine glasses for those of the family that would like to have a glass, he had thought of extra water glasses for these people as well, and he had even arranged some decorations on the table, consisting of a vase with tiny, but beautiful flowers and several candles.

You smiled again and walked into the kitchen where the smell of food was the strongest.

Gerard was just pouring the mix of milk and molten butter over the mashed potatoes and sent you a broad grin as he saw you entering.

"You look amazing," he complimented.

"Thank you," you laughed and strode over to the oven, checking on the still baking turkey.

"So..." Gerard drew out the last letter as he mixed the potatoes with the milk and butter, "do I get my cuddles now?"

You sighed. "Gee, I still have to bake the vegetables and-"

Before you had properly comprehended what happened, Gerard had swept you up in his arms and carried you out of the kitchen, over to the living room where he gently threw you onto one of the sofas before he flopped down next to you. With puppy eyes he crawled up to you, placing a soft kiss on your jaw.

"Cuddles?"

You sighed again, this time with resignation as well as a small smile.

"I guess a few minutes won't hurt anyone."

Gerard let out a cry of happiness and snuggled next to you, wrapping his arms around your waist and pulling you against his chest.

"The whole house smells of turkey," you noticed with a scrunched up nose.

"That's how you know it's Thanksgiving," Gerard giggled.

"Maybe we should open the windows before the others arrive."

"Hey, sweetheart, stop worrying, it's all fine," he assured you and placed a soft kiss on your lips.

You slowly responded to the kiss, which encouraged him to deepen it a little more. Second by second you felt the tension that had still taken hold of your body, fall away, and you relaxed more and more into Gerard's embrace and his sweet kisses.

When you pulled away, you nuzzled your head under Gerard's chin, and took a deep breath. You loved to cuddle like this; it always felt like Gerard was protecting you from the stressful world outside. And because he felt like he was protecting you, one of the rare moments you were tired of protecting yourself, he loved it equally.

The time cuddling Gerard passed far too quickly for your liking, and the alarm of the kitchen clock painfully reminded you to check on the turkey, and baste it with butter once again. Gerard and you both groaned and rose from the sofa. You took care of the turkey and put the Brussel sprouts and the carrots which you had prepared earlier into the oven while Gerard finished seasoning the mashed potatoes and transferred the mass into a serving bowl where he arranged a few twigs of herbs on top to look more nicely.

You had just placed the vegetables on the serving plate and thrown some cranberries and pecans on top to pep up the taste a little, when Gerard noticed the headlights of a car that had stopped outside the house.

"I think Mikey's here," he noted.

You took a look out of the window at the dark street where just at that same moment a second car stopped right behind Mikey's.

"And so are my parents," you added.

Gerard and you shared a look, both of you suddenly beginning to be nervous again.

"Do you think this'll work out," you asked hesitantly, suddenly doubting your choice for food and your cooking skills all over again, even though you knew every single thing you had cooked would taste delicious.

"Of course it will," Gerard assured you, pulling you close and kissing you on the forehead, "this will be the best Thanksgiving any of us ever had."