Kara. (302)

MADISON'S POV.

I let that single word take over me.
I feel everything relax, everything inside of me that I didn't realize was tense.
That small word has a massive impact.
"Yes."
It rings around my head and I feel the tight ball of fear that settled in my chest dissolve.
I take a deep breath and finally, finally I relax.

"Negan brought her home." Carl explains.
"She's at home?" The words feel funny on my tongue. It's been a while since I've been able to refer to this as 'home'. I hadn't expected Negan to follow through with his promise.
"Yes."

I nod and grip the sides of the gurney.
I heave, pulling myself into a sitting position.
Carl puts both hands on my shoulders.
"Madison...you lost a lot of blood, you just got stitched up. You're safe, she's safe. You can relax."

I look at him in the eye.
"First of all..." I knock his hands off my shoulders. "How many times do I have to say I'm fine until it clicks."
I swing my legs over the gurney and let them dangle, preparing for the small jump to the ground.

"Secondly, it was just me and her for a long time. I was fighting for her since the beginning and I haven't stopped and I won't stop until she's in my arms."
Carl nods and a small smile spreads across his face. "Then we best not keep her waiting. She's kinda fussy, like her mom."
I can't help the smile that breaks across my face.
"Oh, she smiles." He teases and I roll my eyes playfully, ignoring his subtle jab.

Maggie grabs my elbow and Carl takes the other and they pull me to the ground. I notice the definite bump hidden under Maggie's shirt and I wonder how on earth she came here to fight while that pregnant. I look over to Michonne on the bed. "Get better soon."

Fangs stands up and waits for the door in front to open. Maggie opens it and lets me go. Carl however, slides his hand from my elbow to my hand and slips his fingers in mine. We meet Rick and Daryl outside the door.
"The others have gone back to the house. They're moving the trucks so we can get in." Rick tells us.
"Good." Maggie nods.
Daryl clears his throat. "The others found Sasha."
I hear Maggie's breath hitch.
"I'm sorry Maggie." I whisper.
She was closer to her than I was, although she was kind to me.

We all limp back to the house, everyone a mess both inside and out. My side burns from the new stitches but I'm not gonna wait another minute, I need to see her. The journey is unbearably long, longer then usual. Carl and I walk slightly ahead of the Maggie, Rick and Daryl.

The grass along the path has grown long and unkept and a slight, white shimmer coats the top as the winter ice sets in. The plants have curled up and broken apart from the frost.
"Everything is different." I whisper.
Carl sighs. "Yeah."
"Well, the sky is the same. The same stars, the same moon. They'll always stay the same." He mumbles.
"I guess they are."

"You look different." He admits.
"So do you. You cut your hair." I note.
He nods. "It was in the way. You cut your hair too." He points out. I don't mention the fact that it wasn't really me who cut my hair.
"Cut it? Nah, I just dyed the tips invisible."
That earns a small laugh from him and I burn the sound into my brain and let it echo, like a broken record, playing on loop.

Finally, we make it to the house. I realize what Rick had meant about trucks. Many of them are parked outside the house and Rosita, Eugene, Carol, Enid, Jesus, Aaron and Tara stand outside.
"Before you go inside, do you want to explain where the hell you've been ?" Rosita asks, yet again.
"What I want, is to see my baby." I say coldly.

Why is she being so sour with me ?
Yes, I understand they have questions but still...
Do they all hate me?
"Madison?" A voice calls from the porch.