39

tw: attempted homicide

"tyler, come on! don't be such a wimp!" ryland called back to me, shaking a can of yellow spraypaint.

"ry, what if they come outside? what if they call the police? this isn't such a good idea."

our other friend, todd, groaned lowly and tossed a can of red spraypaint to me. "chill out, dude."

i bit my lip and then grabbed a can of the same color as todd's.

"hell yeah!"

ryland and todd painted lewd things and a pentagram.

i didn't want to do this!

"guys—"

the house's door opened and a man with light beard stormed out. "what the hell do you think you guys are doing?" he fumbled with his phone and called the police.

"fuck, run!" ryland shouted at us, picking up his duffel bag full of cans of paint.

we ran for a long time and ended up in a children's park. we climbed up on to the top of the playground.

todd laughed and nudged my arm, but ryland wasn't.

"this is all your fucking fault, tyler. if you weren't such a pussy and kept your mouth shut then he wouldn't have come outside. why can't you ever just calm down and help us?"

"we never painted someone's house before, and their light was on. it was risky. it's not my fault."

todd stopped laughing and draped his arm around my shoulder. "come on, ry, he was just a little taken back. we'll just paint some other house; we have the whole night."

"i don't know why you're taking his side."

"i'm not taking his side. i'm just saying you should've already known ty would've been afraid. he's just a scrawny kid."

i got out of his hold. "i'm not a kid. i'm 16."

"you're just a kid."

"you guys are the same age as me!"

todd wrapped his arm around my shoulder again and pulled me close to him. "shut the fuck up, got it?" he mouthed something to ryland.

he kissed my cheek and then my neck.

"t-todd, stop. what are you doing?" i stuttered, pushing him away.

ryland laughed. "dude, he's probably turned on by this. he's fucking gay."

todd hummed. "hand me that rope." he pointed to the one sticking out of ryland's duffel bag.

he did and handed it to todd.

he wrapped the end of it around the bar above the pole.

"hold his arms."

suddenly, ryland was holding my arms back, and todd was tying the other end of the rope around my neck.

"what the f-fuck. get off of me!" i tried to get out of their grasp.

"get off! someone help!" ryland covered my mouth.

"maybe this'll teach you to stop being such a girl." todd told me and gestured for ryland to push me off the edge.

i was pushed.

struggling, coughing, crying.

"hey, what do you think you fuckheads are doing?" a man's voice called out. "hey!" he noticed what was happening and ran up to us.

ryland hit todd's arm, and they ended up running off in the opposite direction.

the man helped me.

he pulled me back to the edge and untied the rope. i wrapped my arms around him and cried on his shoulder.

he was a total stranger, but he saved my life.

"hey, it's okay. you're okay now. i'm going to call the police."

i hiccuped and shook my head. "p-please don't! they-they'll be p-pissed. they'll tell the police a-about what i did too!"

he shushed me and ran his fingers through my hair. "i'll protect you, okay? i'll take care of your problems. what's your name?"

"t-tyler."

he pulled apart from the embrace and wiped my tears away and slightly rubbed my neck from the rope burn.

"i'm brendon."