16

josh ignored me all morning.

i tried getting his attention when we were sitting around the table for breakfast.

i tried.

and i tried.

and i tried.

but sadly, nothing i did got his attention.

maybe josh got yelled at again by daddy before i woke up.

maybe that's why he's so pissed and negligent.

i hope that's the reason.

i walked into daddy's office. he was on the phone; i didn't interrupt him until he was done.

daddy hung up the phone and then turned towards me and smiled. "what's up, ty?"

i played with my fingers. "daddy, is josh okay? why is he here?"

daddy stepped closer to me and caressed my cheek with his the back of his hand, gentle as ever.

"you don't have to worry about josh, baby. he'll just get you into trouble."

"he seemed so sad at–"

smack!

daddy slapped my face then cupped my cheeks harshly. "he's a rat, tyler. you don't need him bothering you."

i was about to tell daddy that i got it and that i wouldn't ask again.

but things had other plans.

"is he bothering you? are you two seeing each other? is that what's going on? that's why you're asking?"

"n-no, daddy, nothing is going on between me and j-joshua. i-i swear."

"you better not be lying to me, baby," he said, sweetly, placing a kiss on my forehead, and then turning around and going back to his paperwork.

"you know what i'd do if you were lying."