27

it was starting to get dark out, and i still hadn't heard anything from daddy or josh.

but then mommy came home, and she was looking for everyone.

she unlocked my door. "ty, did you lock yourself in? where's daddy?"

"daddy locked me inside because he found out i was talking to josh. d-did you see him?"

mommy put her hand around my shoulder. "i'll open up his room, okay? you know daddy can be like this sometimes."

she left my room and went across the hall to josh's. i stood in the doorway as she unlocked his door.

"joshua? josh!" she shouted and ran inside.

i didn't want to see, but i needed to. i had to know if he was alright so my legs took my to his room.

and there he was.

lying on the ground in a small pool of blood around his head.

he was awake but just slurring nonsensical words.

"i-i have to take him to the hospital." mommy said, dialing 9-1-1 on her phone.

i dashed inside and fell on my knees next to him. "j-josh, c'mon it-it'll be okay. i'm s-sorry." i mumbled, holding his head up.

i gave him a small lingering kiss on his forehead and held him close to my chest.

the ambulance sirens were close and that meant i had to part from josh.

he didn't say anything that mommy and i could make sense of, but he held my hand.

daddy walked through the doorway with his arms crossed. "what the hell do you think you're doing, sarah?"

she stood up. "brendon, you can't beat these kids up like this!" she yelled.

"i could do whatever i want with them as i see fit."

"no, you can't!"

the paramedics came through the unlocked front door. they found us and held josh up onto the gurney.

"what happened? how long was he down like this?"

"i came home and found him like this. i don't know what happened." mommy lied.

mommy left with josh, and i was left alone with daddy.

again.