Ugly Tears

The boys continued in the tournament, and each day I went to visit Cole. Each and every time his face lit up and he smiled.

It was a small detail, but so sweet.

I walked down the long corridor again, my feet used to the path by now. Left to avoid a large rock then a jump over a little ditch and I was there.

Cole was half asleep on his cot, and a soft rap on the bars and he opened the door for me, a drowsy smile written on his face.

"Good morning sleeping beauty!" I teased and in return, he stuck his tongue out at me.

"I have to show you something." He said quickly, seeming overly excited.

I raised an eyebrow and shrugged as he pushed past me. Sneakily grabbing my hand as he slid past, Cole gently pulled me down the hall and to the left. We stopped at a wooden door, and we dropped hands so he could open to door with the keys I had acquired a few days back. Whoops.

I leaned into him to watch, anxious as the door creaked open. Half hid behind my boyfriend, I peeked in, half expecting him to scare me.

I could make out a huddled form, sitting on the floor but chained to the wall. My eyebrows knit together as I cast a wary gaze on Cole. He noticed, and stepped forward into the room, leaving me exposed.

"Wake up bud, it's Y/N." He grumbled and kicked the person's foot.

A buzz and a whir and two bright blue lights lit up the room. I was finally able to make out who it was, and I froze on the spot.

My hand slid up to cover my mouth and tears ran down my face.

"Y/N?" A robotic voice questioned, a smile in it.

Time slowed as I nodded and rand forward to hug him.

"I missed you so much, Zane. How are you even...?" I held his head to my shoulder and I cried ugly tears on his.

"You know what, it doesn't matter, you're alive!"

He laughed, his voice mechanical to match his outer appearance.

"And you look different, but who gives a rip because we've all been such a mess without you!" I heaved and coughed, sitting back before him, taking it all in.

Cole slid onto the floor next to me, absentmindedly playing with my fingers.

"I am sorry I had to leave you all." Zane murmured and hung his head low.

"No no it's okay. All that matters now is that you're back!" I laughed and the robot met my gaze with a smile.

His bright blue eyes glanced down at Cole and my entwined fingers and then back to me. "This is a new romantic development?" He asked, his mouth quirking up in a smirk.

I felt my face flush red and I dipped my chin to my chest. I wasn't answering that.

Cole took that as an opportunity to pipe in. "Uh yeah, Tin-can. You missed a lot."

"I can see. It seems you got over your fear and asked her to be your romantic partner?"

Alright, that's a weird way to put it.

I felt Cole freeze up beside me. "Zane, that was just between you and me, remember?" He said through gritted teeth and Zane laughed.

"Oh. Correct! I must have forgotten in my time of absence."

"It's good to have you back, Frosty." I joked and met his icy blue gaze with a smile. "We've missed you."