Bright Lights and Missing Paws

"Ooo and Barbra takes a tumble!" My brother's voice boomed over the loud speakers in his game show auditorium.

The crowd took a sudden gasp before the woman in pink stood and waved a hand as if to say "I'm good!"

And everyone was up on their feet cheering and yelling, exhilarated.

I sat to the side. My hair done perfectly and a pretty slate gray dress on, to match Jay's suit. I didn't do much in his stupid game show. I was basically his Vanna, like in Wheel of Fortune.

I was just there for a female presence and to keep the score of the competitors. I fiddled with the rings placed on my fingers and thought. It was what I did best, smiled and thought. Other than painting, which I had no time to do anymore.

Thanks, Jay.

It was a miracle my brother could pull this off. He was never very organized, so it surprised even me when he started this dumb game show. Of course, it wasn't but days after we had left that he jumped at this crazy idea.

We were sitting in a run down motel room on the outskirts of Ninjago city. I laid on my bed in my pajamas while Jay brushed his teeth in the bathroom connected to our room.

I flipped through the channels, wrapped in a fluffy blanket I had taken with me from when I packed my things from the Bounty. The little stuffed green frog I had had since I was a kid sat in my lap.

I named him Froggy.

Original, isn't it?

Home designers show, boring. Some stupid vampire drama, boring. Documentary about some endangered antelope thing, boring. Game show. Alright, this I could watch.

I laid the remote down beside me and huddled under my blanket, watching as the contestants on the show named things off the top of their head which was supposed to belong in a category. Some rip off version of family feud.

I glanced over as Jay peeked around the corner, toothbrush hanging out the side of his mouth. He slowly brushed as he watched along with me before disappearing again.

Eventually, he came and sat down on the edge of his bed, wearing his pajamas too. "This game show sucks."

"Well, this cheap motel gives us about 6 channel options, two of which are staticky and or are in a different language. It's either this or some vampire drama," I retorted with the roll of my eyes.

He huffed, and crossed his arms. "I could host a better game show than this!"

A laugh escaped my lips and he stuck his tongue out at me in response. "You could not! But whatever, go ahead and try. Just don't waste all of our money. My next shift at the pet store isn't until Tuesday, so..."

"I totally could!" Jay nearly jumped up in excitement, which popped out of nowhere. "And it could be physically involving too, because watching people fall is hilarious! And..." he continued rambling as he paced around, and I just tuned him out. Like he would go through with this idea.

He did.

And here I stand, on the stage of his show. I still did work at the pet shop, just on the weekends and off-days of Jay's show. It actually was the one place I found myself smiling again after leaving the ninja.

Later that night, as I peeled off the sticky, but oh so gorgeous dress and changed into jeans and a simple shirt, I found myself staring into the mirror. My striking eyes stared back at me, and my curly hair fell into my face. A sigh and I rubbed my skin free of the makeup that had been caked on earlier that day.

I rushed out the door and slipped on a black bomber jacket and ran to the shop. Destiny's it was called, and it was ran by a sweet lady named Destiny. I had met her when I went on a hot chocolate and coffee run for Jay and I. We struck up a conversation and she hired me to help on the spot.

I pushed open the door to the warm room filled with puppy yips and squawking birds. I waved to Destiny to let her know I was here and grabbed a bag of food to give to the animals.

Pedro. The bearded lizard with a passion for napping. He had been here since I started working, always sleeping but never finding a home. A small scoop for the sleeping lizard beauty.

Rico. The sassy little chameleon who cost a little to much if I was to buy him. It still amazed me everyday to see him change colors. A half of a small scoop for the color changing Rico.

Sandy. The really annoying and really loud yellow parrot who enjoyed talking way too much. Sandy was a talker, like an old lady. It was hard to get her to be quiet. A scoop for the yappy bird.

And Dedra. The gorgeous new arrival Great Dane puppy. She was brown, and growing each day. She was my favorite. Honestly, it was so surprising no one had come to take her home yet. A big scoop for the growing beast.

I let the puppy out of her cage to let her wander around my feet as I swept up. Dedra leaped and barked and raced around my broom as I went, her small tail wagging. She tried to bite at the broom, but since I was continually sweeping, she was just biting at thin air.

All was well and dandy until Destiny tapped me on the shoulder holding a pretty green collar and leash to match. A smile was written across her face as she saw Dedra and I, but fell as she met my eyes.

"Y/N, dear... uh.. someone has come to take Dedra home..." She whispered, the southern accent of hers tinted each word.

I froze, and looked down at the puppy who sat at our feet, tail wagging, expecting a pet or a treat.

I watched silently as a older man came and took Dedra once Destiny had placed the collar and leash on her.

And I watched as another thing that I loved was ripped out of my life.