Snake Spit

The dimly lit room grew silent.

"I guess we just walk.."

"Ooo! A secret passage way! Cool!" Everyone rolled their eyes at my brother who seemed to be entertained by the simplest of things.

We slowly walked down the dark and dingy hallway, trudging our feet and shuffling along. A small light flickered ahead, and with our hopes up, we rushed to see what it was.

"It looks like a peep-hole." Came the confused mutter from Lloyd.

Of course, Jay jumped at this idea. "Oo! A secret peep-hole!" He climbed up and pressed his face to the wall to see trough the hole to the other side.

"It's Skylor's room."

I turned confused to Cole, who stood hovering beside me. "Who?" I whispered, feeling out of the loop.

He looked down at me as Kai climbed up to join Jay. "Another elemental master. Kai seems to have the hots for her." He smirked and elbowed me, and I looked back up to see my brother and the master of fire fighting over who got to see through the hole in the wall. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Come on you two, let's get out of here." I grumbled before continuing on, Cole walking beside me. I yawned and rubbed my face to wake me up some.

"I suppose I have to thank you..." I started before trailing off.

He raised an eyebrow and glanced at me out of the corner of his eye. "What? Why?"

"I was wearing your mask when I came in. And the guards didn't do anything because they thought I was you."

Cole chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh yeah. You're welcome, then."

We came to an abrupt stop, seeing as the ground below us gave out and went straight down. We all huddled around the hole, none of us wanting to go first.

"I mean you guys could climb down there..." I spoke my thoughts aloud, "but me... eh not so much."

"I could give you a piggyback ride." Cole quipped up quickly before looking like he immediately regretted it, eyes wide and cheeks a dusty pink. The other ninja cast him looks and elbowed each other, while I just rolled my eyes.

"Fine. Just... don't drop me please." I winced, but climbed onto his back, arms around his neck as I held on tight.

Slowly, we descended and my heart thundered in my chest at the thought of falling. Taking in a shuddered gasp, I buried my face in Cole's back, not daring to look down.

Eventually, for what seemed to be an eternity later, we reached the bottom. With a collective sigh of relief, we pressed onwards.

I didn't get off Cole's back. He didn't say anything of it either.

I must've eventually drifted off, because the next thing I knew, I was being poked and prodded awake by my brother.

"Y/N... wake up already!" He whispered and I mumbled a threat and pushed him away. We were behind a rock, in what seemed to be an underground tunnel. The boys were peeking over the edge, so I pushed Kai to the side and looked too.

People walked by, constantly chanting soft but intangible words. They were dressed in robes, and skulls were atop their heads like helmets. We passed each other confused looks, but soon it seemed they stopped. No one else came, so we stepped out to follow where they had gone.

The tunnels opened up into a bigger cave with the little cult worshiping minions stood chanting. We huddled together, peeking out from the tunnel wall which hid us from view.

Everyone was pushed up against everyone else, and everyone was breathing down someone's neck.

We watched as they brought a metal man.

"Karloff." Kai explained from behind me. "Master of metal."

We watched as Chen strolled up with a staff.

"What is Chen doing here? He's supposed to be hosting the tournament!" Jay huffed from in front of me.

We watched as Chen stole Karloff's power.

"He used ice! That must mean he stole Zane's power too!"

We all collectively gasped.

And we watched as every single head turned back to look at us.

"Uh.. guys.. I think we should-" Kai began before I cut him off pushing him back.

"RUN!"

We bolted back the way we came, tripping over rocks, and stepping on the back of others shoes. Every time someone fell we stopped to help them up.

My heart raced as I heard the sound of footsteps behind us and I didn't need to look to know the cult minions were chasing us.

My breath hitched, but we ran on.

We all slid to a stop, bumping into the person in front of us as we reached where we climbed down.

"Quick, climb on!" Cole shouted at me and I leaped onto his back.

This was stressing me out far too
much.

We climbed, but it didn't feel fast enough. The minions stopped at the bottom and seemed to laugh at us.

"Why are they laughing?!" Jay shouted, not impressed.

SsssssssssSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssss

We froze.

"What was that?" I dared to ask and I felt Cole begin to shake in terror.

SSSSSSSSSsssssssSSSSSSSSSsssss

"S-snake!" He shouted as the fricken BIGGEST SNAKE EVER PEEKED ITS FREAKING GLOWING EYES OVER THE TOP LEDGE!

"That's the second biggest snake I've ever seen!" Kai quipped and my eyes grew wide with terror.

"What was the first?!"

He didn't answer as we began a mad scramble for a small cavern in the wall were we could escape. The snake slithered down as Cole crawled in, leaving me on the edge.

The purple beast hissed at me, spit flung on my face, and before I could even think, I kicked it.

Then with all that was left in me, I crawled back to join the others.

The STUPID SNAKE wouldn't quit and he stuck his head in as far as it could go. Screams pierced my ears as we pushed back further into the cave. I cried, and huddled into Cole, utterly terrified. As far as we went, the snake seemed to push in a little too.

A soft click, and we fell.