Crunching Bacon

I grumbled as sunlight hit my eyes for the second time in the past two days. Absentmindedly, I swatted at the air as if that would shoo the sun away. I flopped over onto my side, pulling the blanket up under my chin. Beside me, someone rolled over too to wrap me in an embrace. A smile, and I snuggled into the warmth.

My eyes snapped open and I sat up, remembering all that happened last night. A grumble beside me, and the black shaggy haired boy fell back asleep. I let out a breath I didn't realize I had been holding in.

I left Come where he was and decided to go visit Jay. A stretch and a note on his bed was all I did before I snagged one of Cole's hoodies and was out the door. It was still early in the morning, therefore no one was awake yet. I tiptoed two doors over to the giant blue doors with lightning carved into it.

A soft rap with my knuckles against the hard wood and I let myself in.

Jay was draped over his bed, sheets and comforter thrown all over the place. That boy was a mess when he slept. I rolled my eyes with a huff and tried to at least fix some of his sheets.

A kick to the jaw ended that loving sisterly deed.

Whatever. A spin on my heel and a hand on my jaw, I gazed around his room. Soft blues danced about the room, giving off a peaceful aura. A hot tub on one side-why did he get that? I'm so using that later!- and a kitchenette of in a corner. Ah!

I bounded over and stuck my head into the fridge. A pack of frozen bacon sat at my disposal, which I eagerly whipped out and put to use. A pan was snatched from its hiding place under the sink, and with the gas on, a fire began to sizzle the bacon.

Soon, my brother arose from his bed and greeted me with a smile. "Good morning..." he said wearily, still asleep.

"Mornin!" I quipped back with a smile. "I got up early so I decided to pay my big bro a visit. Bacon?"

I forked a piece of crunchy bacon onto a paper towel which he took from me with a nod. I took my piece and left the rest in the pan to cool, fire off.

I sat beside him on the floor of the kitchen, backs leaned up against the cupboards. He wrapped the blanket he had around him over my shoulders as we munched on our bacon.

"How's Cole?" He asked and I immediately froze.

"Um... good. As far as I know."

He gave me a sideways glance and pressed further. "Oh come on. What happened last night? Spill the beans!" He seemed really excited, eyes wide and bright.

Ugh.

"Great. Thanks, Jay. Really putting me on the spot. Love you too." I remarked, wanting to avoid the question as I ate the last bite of my bacon.

"I don't know... it's safe to say that he.. ugh. Um... maybe perhaps... likes me?" I shut my eyes tight and waited for an explosion from Jay.

"'Bout time."

"What?"

"I said it's about time. It's obvious, Y/N. He's liked you for a while." Jay stayed like it was the most obvious fact in the world.

I sat back and thought about it. Was I just really that blind or that stupid?

I frowned as I recalled all the encounters he and I had. He got me a dog for heavens sake! Ugh. How was I so stupidly blind? It wasn't just him being friendly.

And I treated him just as a friend.

Oh no.

I buried my head in my hands and grumbled beneath my breath. "I'm a horrible person."

"Oh shut up, no you're not. Cole knows you, and he knows you weren't ignoring it on purpose. Yeah, it's hurt him, I will admit that, but he still cares about you."

I just silently nodded.

I didn't know what to say anymore. I felt like I had betrayed him. I didn't mean to...

Of course, just my luck, speak of the devil and he walks in.

Then came in Cole, not bothering to knock. He glanced at Jay and I on the floor before immediately heading to the bacon sitting in the pan above our heads.

Awkward silence spanned among us as he sat and ate beside me.

Jay cleated his throat and broke the silence. "Today is the first official day of tournament! I wonder who will be the first to get eliminated."

"Eliminated?" I questioned, confused.

"Whoever loses the round is out. No second chance or chance to come back." Cole replied around his mouth of bacon.

I nodded. "Okay... but where do the losers go? Just get kicked out? Or do they boat ride home?"

"Oo or fed to a dragon!" I grumbled and elbowed Jay. "Ow! Whatever, whatever. That's the thing! No one knows, it's like it's a big mystery!" He sounded far more excited than he should be.

"Any ideas on where Zane is?" I asked tentatively, not wanting to hit any nerves. So I spoke slowly and carefully. "Are we sure he's even...?"

"He has to be. After what we've done to get here and the stunts you've had to pull, he has to be here." Cole said, nodding in my direction.

"We'll find him."