Spark lit fires

The guys were gone on and off the next few weeks. Nya and I did some repainting and trained by ourselves and fixed dinner for the sweaty tired boys when they did come home. And surprisingly, we missed them. And they missed us.

Jay and I were... distant. He was so busy, I didn't get to talk to him any. Although, I did leave him notes with his ninja garb when they all crashed early on in the night.

That night, I slipped a note to Jay as I usually did. Nothing sappy now, I wasn't THAT kind of girl. Just telling him he was doing great and I loved him. As I tiptoed from the boys room, I collided with Nya. "Oh Lord, you scared me!" I whispered hoarsely holding my forehead with a hand. She giggled and motioned for me to follow her. "Sorry!"

I followed my friend outside to the training grounds where Wu sat. We plopped down next to him, silent.

"We will be out tomorrow and for a good while after that for that matter. But... I wish for one of you to come with us this time. The other will stay and wait for us to return." The wise old man said, turning to give both of us an encouraging smile. Great. I don't want to get left behind, but I don't want to leave Nya here alone either...

"I'll stay, if that's okay. I have... things to do. Cleaning and paintings to finish and what not." I spoke up, cutting Nya off who looked like she was about to say something.

"...oh. Are you sure Y/N?" Nya asked after a while.

"Yeah I'll be fine. I can defend myself, just you wait!" I smiled triumphantly. "See you guys soon then. And Nya?" She looked up to meet my gaze. "Make sure Jay doesn't do something extremely stupid."

I busied myself with simple little tasks. It got boring really quick, let me tell you that. But, I did get to spend every night star gazing on the roof, since Sensei usually didn't let me. Said I'd break my neck or something. Yeah, right.

The days dripped by slowly. One day I was cooking myself some lunch (some days you just have to get wild and go all out) which consisted of spaghetti and meatballs with salad. The leftovers would last me a while. When suddenly I heard a crash from a back room in the monastery. I froze. It wasn't the ninja back, and I was alone. Nothing would have fallen back there anyways. And that's when i began to smell it: smoke.

I reached for the nearest knife and frying pan, and started my way down the long hallway to the exit. Flames cracked and popped around me as the fire spread. I nearly jumped from my skin as the threshold to the kitchen I had just walked through collapsed in flames. I was sweating profusely as the flames licked the walls and nipped at my heels. What the heck happened? The fire couldn't have started by itself... I was in the kitchen and nothing else could have done this.

In a quick motion, I was caught. Something wrapped it way around my neck, as if the smoke wasn't suffocating enough. I clawed at my neck, gasping and choking. From the corner of my eye, I saw a giant blue snake, his tail around my neck. I struggled. Trying to wiggle from his death grip, yet to no avail. I clawed at my neck, to get it off, to get some air. My nails chipped and I felt blood drip down where I had clawed myself. I choked and sputtered for a glimpse of a breath. Just a spec of oxygen... just something. My frying pan and knife clattered to the floor, smoke filled the room, and my vision was filled with black specs around the edges. I kicked, and fought and punched air. I was screaming. In my head at least, filled with screams that echoed off my skull, hollow without oxygen, without breath. I had to get away. Breathe. Air. Water. Help. I.. I couldn't... breathe... and my... thoughts were... all mixed.. jumbled together... my neck was.... raw.. hurt where... I scratched and ringing... my ears... head... lungs... neck... hurt... burning..... so so hot....
Dead... I was.... dying........

........
...

.
..dead....
.
.......
...

"Let her go! What does she matter? She's not one of the ninja!" A far off voice called and I was released from the death grip. Heaven came to earth and I muttered a prayer to God thanking Him for my life. Miracle.
The floor rose up and met my face and the flames burnt and sizzled around me, eating my clothes. The room filled with smoke, and I was able to lift my head just barely to see the end of the snake snake his way out of the... well...what was left of the monastery. I pulled my head up and dragged myself to the door. I could see it, there was light. There was fresh air. The smoke's claws dug into my lungs, and they ached.

Lift, push, pull up.
Lift. Push. Pull up.
Lift push pull up.
Liftpushpullup.
liftpushpullup
Lift
Push
Pull up
Lift

I was so close. I could taste the fresh air on my burnt dry tongue. The sudden rush of air... a flap of wings? I was hearing stuff. I hadn't got enough oxygen to my brain to distinguish sounds or shapes. My head throbbed and exhaustion threatened to drag me into its abyss.

Lift.
Push
Pull up.

I was halfway out the door. I couldn't go any further. My legs screamed out for any sign of rest but my lungs burned for freedom. The once peaceful building collapsed around me, coming down in ringing crashes I could barely hear. The spots returned. I could barely see...

lift...

Push....

Pull... up....

.Abyss.