New faces, new friends, new enemies

"Zane I'm not entirely sure I like this new girl. I mean, Jays fine, talks to much, but..." Cole muttered as he and Zane cleaned the dirty dishes after dinner.

"What of her character do you not approve?" Zane asked in return, confused.

"She seems full of herself. One of those 'I can do anything without help' kind of girls."

Zane sighed and scrubbed away at the dishes in the sink before him. Water splashed on the floor while Cole rinsed them off. "Independent? Perhaps, you are like that as well. An 'I can do anything' type of guy." Zane replied in a mocking monotone voice. He finished, and left Cole rinsing and grumbling to himself.

Every morning, the boys and I would be woken up at the butt crack of dawn by a very very obnoxious Wu. Ugh. The old man was kind, but our poor eardrums. And Zane and Cole now had to live with Jay's crazy ground shaking shoring, thank goodness I got a room to myself.

The boys trained, and I was allowed to watch. Sometimes join too. On sparing days, I would be Cole's partner and we would always banter back and forth while having some friendly hand to hand combat.

"Sleep well, Walker?" He mused, throwing a kick for my legs.

I took a quick step back to avoid him. "I did despite your constant snoring. Oh my word, you wound like a bear." Cole never snored, but teasing him about it pushed his buttons.

"Oh right, surprised you didn't drown in your own drool." He snorted and I rolled my eyes and laughed. A punch, a kick, avoided.

"Pft. I could say the same to you." I kicked, and landed in the shins. He stumbled back and gave me a glare just as Wu called them to do some other training. "Bon voyage, Brookstone." I smirked and gave a bow as he gave an annoyed wave and hurried off.

As much as he seemed to be against me, I could tell I was growing on him.

And then there was the night training. Occasionally, Sensei would wake his ninja, and have them do stealth training. Which was so annoying to wake up to, and have them try to stealth around me the morning after.

There was one night of training that was... different. I heard footsteps on the roof, and awoke to watch. I pulled a dark black hoodie over my head and black pants so I wouldn't be seen. Tiptoeing from my room, I made my way to the outside of the monastery. There were Cole, Zane, and Jay... fighting someone else? Okay... did Wu have another student we didn't know about, or had someone broke in? Probably the latter.

I pulled the hood over my head to cover up my hair which would easily give me away. I slipped down onto the platform a few steps higher than the training grounds, just as the guys continued their fighting in the training area. It was quite funny to watch this new guy fail so bad against my brother and his team. I had to cover my mouth with a sleeve to keep myself from laughing.

And suddenly, the doors flew open and light flooded the guys. Sensei pulled the boys from each other and I stood to stand beside all of them to watch. From what I was able to catch, this new guy was a new student. Shoot. Should've known. But why hadn't we seen him before this...?

His name was "Kai" I think. And Sensei used his... spinjitzu? To give the ninja their own gis and weapons and colors. Cole remained black, Zane white, Jay blue (not surprised, that's his favorite color. He could go on and on about blue. Don't ever get him started on that train wreck of a conversation), and Kai red. Then... they turned and left. Jay pulled his mask up and looked directly at me. He knew I was there the whole time. But yet... he still went with them. Gave me a sympathetic smile, tho, as he ran off.

And I was left on my own for a long long time.

I never got to say goodbye to them. They just left and have been gone for a really long time. They did come back for a week, left me out of everything they did tho.

There was one good thing in all of this. Nya. Kai's sister they went to save I later learned after poking and prodding. We immediately became best friends.

"Hey, Nya pass me the salt, please and thank you." I asked while juggling cooking breakfast for dinner. The poor eggs were getting crispy. She handed me the salt and flipped the pancakes she had going on the griddle. Cole and Jay walked in then, and sat at the table. "Oooo can I have a muffin? Please?" Jay asked, with puppy dog eyes.

"No! Jay! No go sit down!" I pushed him away as he reached for the blueberry muffins I just pulled out of the oven. He frowned and stuck his tongue out at me which I returned. Cole just smiled and doodled on his napkin.

"Zane coming?" Nya asked and began to plate everything. Cole looked up from his napkin doodle and tilted his head. "Should be. Walker, you better not be burning those eggs." He said to me and I turned back to the eggs and sighed. "Shoot. Totally forgot about those." I scrapped my crusty eggs into the trash and placed the pancakes and muffins on the table. Just then Zane walked in, his nose wrinkling at the smell of my burnt eggs. "Sorry, my bad." I replied to his face.

Eventually we all sat down, once Sensei came in. And... bad news.

I sat between Cole and Jay picking apart the muffin before me. Then, Sensei spoke up.
"Nya and Y/N... the ninja and I will be on a mission for the next few weeks. We will come back occasionally to rest, or for a few days. We will need you two to stay here... to keep the monastery while we're gone."

Nya narrowed her eyes. "Why can't we come? We can help! We've been training with the guys, we can help." She grumbled, looking to me for support. I took that as my cue to pipe up. "Yeah, Sensei we could help. Sure we don't have elemental weapons, but we can still fight."

"No I need you here." 

And that was that.