Spit fire

"Oh shoot oh shoot OHSHOOT" Jay muttered from the back of Kai's dragon. The team was flying back to the monastery, the breeze fluffing back their hair. It was a beautiful day...

Yet there was smoke rising from the monastery's ruins. The dragon landed with a thud and Jay, Cole, and Nya raced off.

"Shootshootshootshootshoot" Jay whimpered and cursed beneath his breath.

"Y/N!" Cole shouted from behind him, and Nya was frantically searching the rubble.

"It's all gone...." came a mutter from Kai.

"Our stuff?! That's all you care about?! Y/Nwas here! Y/N's still in there! She might be dead!" Jay shouted at Kai like a slap in the face. He buried his hands in his face, but quickly went to join his friends in search for his sister.

Cole and Nya kept searching, but Jay was quick to give up. He stumbled back, and sat on the ground defeated. "But... Y/N..." Tears ran down his face and he wiped them away as quick as he could. Sensei placed a hand on his shoulder, and Kai stood beside him. Beside the dragon was Zane, silent.

Cole pushed and grabbed and kept calling her name. Sure, she wasn't at first his favorite... but she had grown on him. "Y/N! Y/n...come on come on..." he scrambled to uncover the entryway, to get in. An arm... a charred head of h/c hair. "Oh crap, JAY, NYA I FOUND HER!" The black ninja shouted before pulling charred wood and the remains of the monastery off his burnt friend. Her skin was open and oozing in certain places, and her hair was charred and frayed. Around her neck were lacerations and scratches. What had choked her that bad? Cole gasped and shuddered at her condition. If they had left here there any longer... he shook his head free of the thought.  He heard the footsteps of the rest of the team coming up behind him. The raven haired boy gently pulled her out, and carried her bridal style out into a open clearing. He set her down on the floor, placed her head in his lap. Jay hovered, pushing her burnt hair from her face. "Please be okay, please be okay, oh shoot Y/N... I told you, I told you, Itoldyou..." he muttered and shook his head.
A whimper came from Nya, and a gasping shudder. "I left her. It should have been me..."

Smoke. All I could smell was smoke. Yet, my body felt free. Wasn't crushed, was breathing fresh air? I blinked my eyes open, to a blur. I saw colors and shapes and heard very faraway voices. As if someone was screaming my name from miles and miles away and I could barely hear the echo. It all slowly came back, shapes became faces, and sounds came from closer and the ringing... the ringing still lived, but died down. I could feel again, and my body burned and ached. Then, things snapped into focus and I sat up the tiniest bit to cough my lungs free from the smoke that had made a home there.

A cough, a cry, a whimper.

I looked around and pulled myself up the best I could. Cole, I was in his lap? Uh ew...? Conflicted feelings there. And Jay... he had tears streaming down his face. Poor buddy. Nya... who looked like she was about to scream with happiness in seeing me up.
"Wh..." I coughed hard. Made my lungs ache. "...at happe..ned?" Cries of pure joy erupted from each of the people who stood above me. Jay rushed me into his arms and held me tight. "I thought... I thought... I told you. I told you to stay home." I did my best to return the hug and gave him my biggest smile. Then everyone piled on the hug, Cole then Nya then all of the others.

I was safe.
I was okay.

Cough. Burn.
Cough. Burn.
Cough. Burn.

"Ouch ouch... guys... I...m bur..nt. H..hurt." My voice sounded hoarse and so scratchy as if someone could take my voice, throw it in a rucksack, and dragged through a pile of cactus and then set on fire.

"Oh sorry..." mutters of 'sorry' rung out and the hug loosened. Cole smiled and me then turned a harsh stare at Zane. "This wouldn't have happened if we hadn't followed that stupid bird."

Kai spoke up, eyes burning with anger. "Yeah, smart idea that was!"
"Kai..." a warning from Sensei.

"No. Sensei, they're right. If we had followed you with that idiotic bird my sister wouldn't have been left on deaths doorstep!" My sweet brother shouted, and I placed a hand on his, giving him a look. "Ja...y.. no...ni..nice." He glanced at me and shook his head, standing from his place beside me. I swayed, and leaned on Cole trying to keep it together.

"No. This is a teaching moment." Zane tried to defend himself.

"Teaching moment? What's wrong with you? She could have been killed!" Cole shouted beside me which hurt my ear and I winced. He frowned and glanced at me apologetically. "Sorry..." he muttered.

"You and your dumb ideas!" The boys shot darts at Zane. Each one taking a harsh word to throw at him. Banter and rage and hurt.

"Enough!" Sensei shouted above their roar. Cole slumped beside me in shame, and Jay and Kai looked at their feet, avoiding eye contact with their teacher. "Zane is your brother. Apologize at once." But, he was gone. I was the only one to see, but he hopped off on his dragon and was gone in a flash.

"I'm sorry Zane. I-" Kai was cut off when he turned to see Zane was gone.

"He... comi...ng. Back... soo... soon." I managed to mutter and the boys looked in the distance for him.

He didn't come back for a long long while. Meanwhile, the boys tended to me each taking turns to help. Jay stayed by my side the entire time, only leaving me when his teacher needed him for something. We had nestled between large rocks, a remaining piece of fabric over our heads for protection. Cole seemed awkward around me, but always kept a wary eye on me too.

I drank as much water as was offered me. And with some bandages and poultices from Wu, I began to slowly feel better.

That night, they made a small fire, but made sure to keep me away from it. Fire was an untamable beast I didn't want to be anywhere near. Jay sat huddled beside me, rebandaging the cuts around my throat. "Hey, Y/N... what happened?" He asked, his voice quiet. Nya came over and sat beside me then too.

I told them everything. Just wanting to make spaghetti, to the noise and the fire... and the snake. Kai and Cole crawled over to listen eventually. I told them about how quickly the fire spread, and how the snake choked me and, by the mercy of God, I was spared. I told them about how I crawled and crawled and I... fainted? Blacked out? Passed out? Died? Lord only knows what.

They all sat in silence. Shuffled awkwardly. I suppose they didn't know what to say.

"Thank you... for s-saving.. me. I thought... dead. I thought I.. w-was dead." I managed to say. They all looked up and met my gaze with a smile.

"I don't know what I would've done without you." Muttered Jay after a long while from beside me. I grabbed his hand with my burnt one and gave him the biggest smile.

"Told.. Id never... lea-leave you."