Chapter Twenty-Three - Utter Shock

I thought Ace would be home the next day, but it was requested that he stay for a few more days, for even more chemo.

"Here, read this letter," Ace called me over to sit on his bed.

"To the parents/guardians of Ace Vaillancourt: patient in room 620. Although we have taken Ace through many chemotherapy treatments and tests, we have determined that there is nothing else we can do. We are deeply sorrowed to announce that he has about 2-3 months left to live.

We are sorry for your loss and we will help with anything if needed."

I knew there would come a time when he would die, but I didn't want it to be now. I was in denial and didn't even know what to say, or do.

"You can't die, you can't leave me here!" I whispered, in utter shock.

"Camilla," He grabbed my hand and held it for a moment. We didn't talk, it was all just sinking in. "There's nothing anyone can do about it."

"Ace, you have to take me with you, I don't want to stay here alone!"

We both sat there, tears streaming down my face as it really began to sink in that this was a reality. Cancer is going to win. Once again, taking away a precious life.

"I know it's not your fault, but I just can't think about leaving this hospital room without you. Ace, you're my best friend and I don't want you to leave me."

"Camilla, I want you to know, you've been there for me through the ups and downs. You're my best friend, my number one supporter. I can't even thank God enough for you."

At home, nothing could distract me from thinking about losing Ace. I talked to God, gave him my worries and anxieties. I don't think I've ever experienced this kind of pain, this is worse than when we first found out he had cancer.

"Are you okay Camilla?"

"Yeah, I'm alright. I mean, I will be alright." I said smiling.

We were listening to Ed Sheeran while lying down in his bed.

"I really want to dance with you." Ace said slowly getting up.

"I don't think you should be getting out of bed Ace." I said pulling him back.

"I'll be fine." He said. "Come on, it's Ed Sheeran, we have to dance."

"Fine." I smiled, standing up to dance with him. Maybe this will get my mind off things. 

He put his hands around my neck and we slowly danced together. This is what I live for; these beautiful moments.

We danced together and our foreheads touched together as I smiled looking into his eyes.

"I love you." Ace said grinning.

"I love you too. Are you feeling okay?" I asked him, seeing as he looked pale in the face.

"I'm fine." He said.

"No, Ace. You have to lie down." I spoke sternly. "I won't let you continue to hurt yourself over a stupid dance."

"Fine. But dancing with you isn't stupid." He sighed, whining.

I dragged him back in bed.

"Camilla, I'm fine."

"I'm going to go get water for you." I said, getting up.

"Camilla. I am fine." Ace said.

"You are not! Ace stop being so stubborn, you're not acting like yourself today. Is something wrong? Other than the bad news?"