Chapter Five - Midnight McDonald's Runs

In November, a month after school had started, they announced that the Harvest dance was on Friday. I was placed into the position of Grade 12 Representative with Logan Wesley this year as we were the Grade 11 Reps last year. I had to plan everything with Logan. He's really nice. As the representatives of our grade, we had to plan for the dance. We had been working on the plans for about a month now.

I didn't have a date at the time. I didn't really want to go with anyone; well I guess I did but I wouldn't admit it. I didn't want to go with a jock, or a geek. I guess Ace would be perfect for a date. He's not too much of a jock, and not too intelligent. He's not a nerd or a popular guy. He's right in between. Ace was such a shy kid. He is a really great guy, he plays baseball and soccer, is really smart in chemistry, loves to read. Perfect guy in the body of Ace. He's the perfect kid, 5'10", has brown hair and blue eyes, and gets straight A's.

"Hey Camilla," Ace said. He frightened me, and I dropped my books. I was day dreaming again. "Sorry about that Cam, I didn't know I would scare you." He picked up my books and we walked to class.

"Do you remember what happened Saturday night?" I asked.

"Uh no I don't, why?"

"Never mind, I'll talk to you about it later. Are you going to the dance this Friday?" I asked him. I tried to get him to clue in, to ask me... It worked pretty well.

"I don't think so... Maybe I can consider it." He said.

"Oh, well-

"I have a question for you." He interrupted.

"Okay... What's up?" I asked.

"I think I will go to the dance... Only if, you uh-um I was um wondering if-

The bell cut him off. I started to walk backwards towards my calculus and vectors class. "Tell me what's on your mind later; I can't be late for class. Figure out how to get to the point quicker." I said smiling. I turned around leaving him standing there probably trying to process what just happened.

---

As soon as I walked into math class I was being watched by about every single guy in the classroom. Everyone says I'm the most popular girl in school. But I'm not a girl that is with a group and doesn't want to hang out with anyone else. I'm just a regular, "pretty", girl that gets a lot of attention. I think everyone should get equal attention. Does that sound like I'm too... full of myself? I brushed my way past all the groups and sat beside Dakota.

"Just letting you know... Oakley, Curtis, Troy and Max are all planning on asking you to the dance." She said laughing. Even though I didn't find that too funny, I snickered.

"Fantastic..." I said sarcastically. "And Matthew's not going to ask you?"

"I don't think so." She said. "Remember, he's not into that whole, dating thing and going out to dances."

"Unless he's drunk," I said and laughed. But she didn't seem to find that funny. She gave me the "death glare" for a couple seconds. Okay so maybe that wasn't the best thing to say.

I felt bad for her. She had a sad look on her face as she glanced over at Matthew a few times. I pulled out my calculus text book and started to study for my test coming up.

Good thing I'm leaving for lunch with Riley...

Basically the whole class I spent thinking about how all the boys just wanted me because I'm "pretty". Well they can't think that I'll fall for them because they're "hot". They're stupid to think that I would actually fall for them. Ace is the only guy I will always be in love with... I know it's hard to say you're in love with a boy, when you're only seventeen, but you have just heard a sliver of how much we have been together. I can tell you right now it's not an infatuation.