Chapter Two - I'm Losing My Friends

I'm lying in a hospital bed, wondering what just happened. I think I fainted or something. I looked around to see my mum sitting on my bed.

"How are you feeling honey?" She asked.

"Just a little light headed, but I'm okay." My mum got the doctors to get some water and they brought Ace to see me.

Ace ran into my room and hugged me as soon as I hopped off the bed. I adjusted to his tight grip and snuggled into him. My face got warm and I had chills running up and down my spine.

"Camilla! I was worried when I heard you passed out. What happened?" He asked me.

"I-I don't really know." I said honestly. "I can't remember."

"She passed out on the sixth floor; I think you had her worried." My mum said.

That's when I remembered that I was dreaming about him dying. I sighed in relief that he was still alive. But I could tell something was wrong because the smile that is always on his face while he's around me, wasn't there today.

"Oh, gosh Cam I'm so sorry."

"It's fine... I really want to know if you're okay." I wanted to just pry it out of him and get the bad news over with, if there is any.

"You didn't hear?"

"Riley said I should hear it from you, what happened?"

"Camilla, this is going to be really hard to hear. I'm not sure what other way to tell you this..." He looked to be thinking hard.

"What's going on Ace?" I asked. "Are you going to be okay?"

He didn't answer but I knew by his facial expressions that he wasn't going to be okay.

I'm sure I must have been crying by then. I sat on the bed beside him for a couple minutes thinking.

"Well, you know about my dad, how he passed away from cancer. They did some tests and the results came in today. The specialists found some cancer in my blood cells, and diagnosed me with leukemia. I'm so sorry Cam," He said grabbing my hand and holding it tight. A warm sensation ran from my hand though my whole body, then ended in my heart. When we hold hands, my whole body feels different, in a good way.

But honestly, I could not believe it. He has cancer. He is my best friend I've done everything with him.

He's not going to live. He's never going to get married, have children, experience love. Ace is going to die.

I felt like someone had shoved my whole body in a paper shredder. Not just my heart. Everything hurt. To have it happen to someone you love so much, hurts. I hate that word, death; it hurts every time I hear of someone passing away.

And now it's happening to me. My friend is being taken from me. And it's going to be a slow and long journey, and possibly in the end, he'll just lose.

I couldn't stop thinking about his facial expression.

Even before he found out he had leukemia, for the past few weeks, he's been acting strange. He hasn't been smiling, he's looked upset around me all the time. I can't help but think I did something wrong. But what did I do?

Flashback

"Hey Cam," Ace mumbled when we saw each other after he got home. He looked super upset.

"Ace! I'm so glad you're home. Are you okay? Did they tell you anything?" I hugged him tightly.

"Nope. Just that I have to go to more hospitals." He falsely smiled. If it wasn't because of that, what could it be?