Chapter Twenty - Divorce is a Tough Subject

I had to go back to the hospital today for a few tests and Ace couldn't make it. It felt weird not having him with me but he had a lot of catch up on from school. I'm not upset with him. I wish he could be here but I totally understand him.

I went into the room, sort of nervous but I was just so happy. They told me if these tests go over well I should be able to head back to school in a week. I'm excited to see my friends again. I've been trying really hard to keep up with the work I've missed. I don't think I've fallen too far behind.

The doctors have been talking to my parents for just a few minutes and I've been in here reading my all-time favourite book; Anne of Green Gables. I just love how talkative and intelligent Anne is. She is quite the interesting character. I also love how well the book is written. I have probably read the book over fifteen times.

I started to imagine myself in Anne's situation, having no parents, growing up in an asylum, and having no one that really cared for her.

I wish I could live in that time when electronics and small attention spans didn't exist; when kids would go outside to play instead of just sitting on the couch for hours watching television. In the time when teenagers could actually do things in life instead of just using their phone twenty-four-seven, when teenagers didn't get so attached to their phones that they couldn't let it go. I wish everything was still as simple as; going to school, go home, do chores and play outside with friends until night time.

"Hey, sweetie," my mum entered, snapping me back into reality.

"Where's dad?" I asked.

"He had to head to work," She whispered.

"What did the doctor's say?"

"They're just going to give you a couple tests later on tonight. You should be able to head back to school in about a week."

"That's good," I smiled. I just lay on my bed silently. My mum seems jittery. Like she needs to tell me something but she can't seem to find the right words.

"Are you okay mum?" I asked.

Her lip started quivering and she started to cry. "I'm such a bad example to you and your siblings." She cried.

"No you're not! Why would you ever think that?"

She sat there still crying. I had no idea what was going on.

"You're the first of the kids I've told this to," My mum started. "I-I cheated on your father."

I sat there with my eyes wide. I have no idea what to say. "You did what?!" I shrieked. "Mum how could you do that?"

"I'm so sorry sweetie. I knew this would be hard to hear but I had to tell you. It's been going on for a while now. I told your father and we've decided that I'll be moving out, just until things are all cleared up." She whispered.

"Can you just leave?" I mumbled, tears welling up in my eyes. How could my own mother do such a thing to my dad? He doesn't deserve it!

"Cam, hear me out, please. I don't expect you to forgive me right now but please don't give up on me and your father. Things may work out."

"I asked you to leave," I whispered.

"I'm so sorry Cam," my mum said, trying to hold my hand but I pulled away. "I love you too much to lose you."

"But you don't love dad too much to lose him?" I started to get angry.

"I never said that."

"Leave,"

"Goodbye Camilla," she sighed, leaving me alone to cry. How does she think it's okay to do that?

I am so mad at her right now. My dad never once looked at another woman the same way he looks at mum. Yet, my mother thinks it's all right to go have an affair with another man. My dad loves her so much and she doesn't give a crap about him? How long has this been going on? How long have I been thinking that my mum really meant it when she said 'I love you,' to my dad? How many nights has dad been sleeping on the couch?