Chapter Thirteen - The Meaning of Love

Dakota came up to me upset and I asked her what the matter is.

"He-he said he loves you." She said. She looked as if she was about to cry.

"Who said that?" I asked.

"He doesn't love me." She started crying. It's Matthew. I thought. She only likes one guy. I don't want to see her crying. Why would he tell her that?

"Is it Matthew?" I asked.

"No. It's Ace." She said.

It was Ace? I thought she didn't have feelings for him.

"I thought you didn't like him anymore."

"Well, I thought I didn't, but when I went to dinner with Matthew, I basically forced myself not to like Ace... But then I realized I might not be able to get over him that quick."

"Alright, well I'll chat with him later, I have to go to class, if you wanna talk about this later, I'll see you after school and we can talk then okay?"

The last few classes were long and tiring. I asked Ace to walk me home from the school because Dakota took my Jeep and he did. When we got near the front door, he stopped and just stared at me.

"What is it?" I asked.

He just stroked my hair. "It's nothing... I mean-

I almost grabbed his hand and pushed it away but I couldn't. I know my mum would be mad if she saw us here like this. I took his hand in mine and guided him to the porch.

"What is it?" I asked. "Tell me now." I demanded.

"There's nothing to say." He whispered. I knew he was lying.

"Yes, there is." I said.

"I have to go now Camilla." He said turning away.

I grabbed his wrist and turned him around.

"What?" He shouted. "What do you want?" He said struggling to get free. I kept my grip tight and didn't let go. "Let go!" He said. "I don't want to be here! I have somewhere else to be now and I'd rather be there than stay here with you!" He raised his voice. I started to get the feeling when you're about to cry. I finally let go and said,

"I see. Well, I'll talk to you later. Thanks for walking me home." I tried to be as nice as possible.

As I got home, I put down my bag and fell on my bed. I started to cry. I can't believe he just said that. All I wanted was to know what he wanted from me. I almost kissed him right then and there to get the words out of his mouth. But I know my mum would ground me for life if I kissed a boy. Well I already did, but she hasn't found out yet.

I had to get dressed for work, so I put my hair up and put on my uniform. I put on a light layer of make-up, grabbed my phone and my keys.

"Mum, I'll be back at 8!" I yelled. "See you later everyone."

I got into my car and started it up. I drove past Ace's house and I sighed. I just can't believe we got into that stupid fight.

Le Café actually wasn't too busy tonight except for one group of about 5 people came in, but they were the biggest crowd. I was on duty until 9:00, so I grabbed myself an apple cider after my shift. I sat down at a table for 2; it was almost quiet since there was only another elderly couple sitting on the other side of the shop. I sat there thinking about Ace, when all of the sudden I got a call; from him.

"Hello?"

"Hey Camilla... Umm I just wanted to say I'm really sorry for everything I said tonight. I wanted to tell you something but the words wouldn't come out of my mouth."