Chapter Seventeen

My eyes flutter open to the bleak bright white room around me. I start to sit up. Questioning where I am. Did I actually die? But when my eyes land on a sleeping Peter and a worried looking Tony I start to understand.

"Dad?" I ask him. He looks up to see me sitting up and smiles.

"You're okay," He says, "everything okay."

"Where am I?" I ask him seeing clear tubing on my face through the limited eye range. I grab ahold. A breathing tube, "the hospital right?"

"Yeah," He says, "the amount of chemicals and slow poisons in your system was seconds from killing you. They had you out for a couple days."

"Are we back in New York?" I ask him. He nods.

"Yeah," he says, "it was the only hospital I'd trust to operate on you in this state."

"Okay," I nod the one big question looming in the room. What happened to my powers? Are they really gone? I take a deep breath. "And my powers?"

"I'm so sorry," Dad says, "we've looked over everything. But I think that guy was right. You haven't triggered them like you normally do." My heart stops. What the hell would I do without my powers? They were such a huge part of me and they're just gone! My mind sets I to panic. Unaware of what to do in this state. My dad places a hand on my leg. "I promise you," He says, "that we are looking into everything. But I think you should start accepting what would happen if you don't get them back."

"The only way would be to kill someone I care about," I say sadly, "how absurd is that? To think I would kill someone I love for such a selfish thing. But still- I grew up with these powers. They are a part of me, the only part of me. Everything I am comes from these powers." My panicked and loud voice causes Peter to stir in his chair. Obviously it's the first time he's slept in days. I can only imagine what it's like for my dad. How trashed the house is from his state of panic. "I hate to let them go. But I don't have a choice."

"I'm sorry," my dad says quietly. My eyes fall onto my arms covered in injects to IV bags and tubes all throughout my body. I look around the room next. Clean, white , and very uncomfortable. The only thing that drove me nuts was the mirror in the corner. We're I could see the breathing tube in my nose finally. But faded bruises and burns covered my body too. If I could barely look at myself now I could only imagine how Dad and Peter must feel. "You weren't breathing properly- you still really aren't. It's not permanent just for now."

"Okay," I say. I haven't had this serious of an operation/ hospitalisation since Pepper and I were turned into human bombs.

"Get away," I hear Peter softly says as he stirs again.

"He talks in his sleep," Dad says, "did you know that?"

"I didn't," I say to them as I look happily at Peter.

"He's the one he realised you were gone," Dad says and I smile, "called me and demanded I look at it. While he was already half way to the site the limo crashed."

"So does that mean you aren't mad at us anymore?" I ask hopefully.

"I stopped being mad at you the moment you left. Him, the moment he called," Dad says, "he cares. I appreciate that." I smile happily looking at Peter. He really does care doesn't he. Yet a lingering feeling of fear hangs in my gut. As he stirs once more finally he sits up. Eyes barely open as he stretches. It takes a moment to register what's happening. But the moment he realizes I'm awake he jumps up moving towards me.

"Oh my Y/n you're awake!" He exclaims, "I was getting worried."

"I'm fine," I say to Peter not really knowing if I am or not. He winces slightly.

"Yeah of course," He says, "I was just worried." I nod. It's never been this awkward between us. I was waiting for him to kiss me. To do something. But he doesn't. He just sits back down.

I spend ten more days in the hospital. Each day feels like hundreds more. Peter and i still remained awkward around the other. Everyone was walking on eggshells around me. Which was agonizing. I felt as if I said anything to them that was negative I was dropping a huge secret that I'd have some trouble adjusting after being kidnapped.

But finally once I got home it seems to settle. As I get into my room and into bed finally going back to a routine with my school work.

"Hey Y/n," Peter says walking into the room. I sit up at my desk. Turning to him I felt the elephant in the room was a growing issue. His eyes not on me but on various scars collected around my body from various needles and burns.

"Hey," I say giving him one last chance to show any affection. He sits down on my bed without giving me so much as a second glance. "We need to talk."

"Yeah yeah of course," he says. I look at him and my body fills with disappointment and sadness.

"Do you not like me anymore?" I ask him. Blunt and straight forward so he can't hide.

"What? Y/n Why would you ask that?" He asks in disbelief and I roll my eyes.

"You won't touch me, or say I love you," I say to him tearing up, "since I lose my powers you barely even look at me. Do you not like me anymore cause I don't have my powers."

"Babe," He says talking my hand and I pull it away.

"I'm boring," I say to him, "you're bored with me aren't you."

"Y/n y/n please please listen to me okay," He says taking my hand again in his.

"Please don't leave me," I whimper, "please I'm sorry."

"I'm not going to leave you," He says taken back by my sadness, "I love you so much."

"Then why won't you look at me?" I ask him. His big brown eyes meeting my tear filled ones. He places one of his hands on my cheek. Wiping my tears with his thumb.

"Every time I look at you," He says, "specifically these scars on you. I think about how it's my fault. How I wasn't there to protect you."

"Peter-"

"I love you so so much but the thought of losing you- I couldn't bare it. I was scared. I'm sorry," He says. I pull him into a soft quick kiss. As I pull away he looks down. "I was thinking," he says, "without the powers. I think you can come to Midtown. I feel like both of us would feel better if you were at the school with me." I smile. He looks up to see my happy expression.

"Of course," I say to him. He crashes his lips into mine. As happy as I am in this moment. The lingering fear from my lack of powers was ever present. Hopefully for once the world will be good.