Ch. 72: Anything Can Happen

Start from the beginning

He looks up the ceiling, sighing more so. Turning into groaning.

He sighs to himself now. "I may or may not had a mild crush on you during junior high." He chuckles to himself. I can tell he's blushing.

The signs. They all piece together in some way. Whenever I thought he was talking about his ex Serena... he was talking about me.

Serena has given me the most clues, and the more I think about it- I should have questioned her then and there. The first time at the football win after party.

"I'm Serena." She sticks out her hand.

"Dawn." I take her hand. I look into her eyes, I've seen her before? I don't know where, but that same fake smile is embedded in my brain.

Her eyes gleam in shock, but excitement all the same as mine, "Dawn? That name sounds so familiar. I feel like I've heard that for years."

When she accused of things I didn't understand. Jake was missing, and she was being very vague about everything.

"I see no logic. You cheated on him then lied about it." I tell her the ugly truth.

"Well, I'm not the one who gets to pick and choose when I want him and when I don't."

"What are you even talking about? That is reversed." She's confusing me by the second.

"Yeah okay. Pretend that you don't remember."

When Alice and Jake were talking after his freak out in class because he wasn't sleeping. He was talking about me.

Then it'll be real. Everything. Everything I want to say about her-" He stops. "I can't." He whispers. "All of it. It's old thoughts."

Now I have no idea who she is.

"You know it couldn't just be in the past."

"I thought I could. I mean it's been years, and now... now everything's fucking different. I can't go without a day without calling Dawn. What does that say about me? How pathetic am I?"

What?

"It means old f-"

Old feelings towards me?

"Jake Dennings." I chuckle to myself.

"What?" I can tell he's smiling.

"You've been in love with me all along, haven't you?"

He clears his throat loudly. "I didn't know you then. I was infatuated with you."

"Just say you were so it'll be more romantic."

"No, Miss. Priss." He teases.

I want to laugh louder. I want to laugh all day with him, but something halts me.

"I fucked him twice. Once in the library, and then in the back seat of his car." Lauren practically flaunts to me. Sure she was remorseful, but the way she said it made it seem I got her sloppy seconds once again, and my stomach turns.