Ch. 22

Sarah's p.o.v.

I was back in my old apartment the day after we came back from Miami. I didn't think i could go back but Connor assured me that no one was camping outside anymore. People really seemed to have forgotten about me. But still, I wanted to run.

Being here now, all by myself, I didn't feel good. I felt lost and vulnerable. Joy went back to work, luckily her boss didn't fire her. I wouldn't know what to do. This girl went through so much just because of me.

Connor went back to work, too. He said he would look into houses in Miami that were up for sale and that he would deal with the aftermath in the company. I was glad I didn't have to go back in there. I don't think I could. I felt like I was betraying my father by selling the majority of my shares but the truth is I don't know if I wanna work there anymore. Even if no one bothers me again or brings up my past I don't think I want to be in that environment anymore. It feels so strange, so unfamiliar.

Yeah, that's because you never belonged there in the first place!

I tried to get rid of the voice in my head and laid down to rest. I didn't want to think about anything, I just needed to refocus.

One thing though I couldn't get out of my head.

"I wonder what he's doing right now." I said out loud before shutting my eyes and exhale.

~

Connor's p.o.v.

Zayn had called me late last night, suggesting I meet him at his home. I knew he would want to meet me somewhere he feels comfortable in. He must have quite a few skeletons in his closet. I'm a lawyer, it's my job to see right through peoples' facade and reveal their secrets and fears.

I made my way through the posh neighborhood until I saw his house in the distance and involuntarily shook my head. I've been a lawyer for over 15 years and was able to buy myself a nice house only five years ago.

I pulled up the driveway and parked the car before I got out and straightened my suit and tie. I wanted to make a detour from work and go home to change but I was already running late. So suit and tie it was. I just hoped it wouldn't make Zayn uncomfortable. I wasn't intending to scare him off, just have a friendly chat.

The gate opened before I could press the button on the intercom. In the distance the front door opened too, but it wasn't Zayn who greeted me.

"Hi, I'm Louis."

The young guy extended his hand and I shook it firmly. His grasp was firm too. I motioned for him to lead the way and followed him inside.

So Zayn called his band mate for backup? Isn't that a surprise!

I looked closely at the young man's back. He was dressed in gray sweats and a beanie. Not what you would imagine a millionaire to look like. I shook my head again.

Louis led me to the spacious living room, where Zayn was playing xBox.

"Hey." I said and it took Zayn a couple seconds to look up from the screen.

Once he did though, his eyes widened in horror. I guess I should've gone home to change.