Ch. 8

"... and then we went shopping. And you know what? He's a really good shopping buddy. Better than you actually!" I finished and took a sip from my Latte.

"Do you really think this is a good idea? I mean, with his job and all?" Joy mumbled that last bit.

"You know, he's having a hard time because of this. People don't trust him."

"And they're right not to! What if he goes and reports back to Debbie?" Joy added.

"It's been a week, J. Have you read anything about me in the papers?"

"No." It sounded like she had to think about this one.

"Then that's your proof. He's alright!"

"Whatever. Just don't get caught lying!"

Joy finished her green tea and ordered another one while I was impatiently staring at my phone.

"Are you expecting a call from work?"

"No, I'm just checking the time." I lied and Joy gazed at the watch on my wrist. Guess she didn't buy my excuse.

"Are you meeting Jamie later?"

"Maybe." I caved in.

"Wow. This has become a daily thing, hasn't it?"

"Well, it just so happens that I'm in the city whenever he's in the city. So we meet for coffee. No big deal." I exclaim.

"Hmm, I've heard these words before!"

"Joy! It's not like I'll jump in bed with him!" I said through gritted teeth.

"Whatever! I've warned you."

"Can we change the subject?" I snapped.

"Sure. I got a call from mum the other day. How's that for a subject change?" Joy shot back.

I choked on my Latte when I heard Joy's words. Our mother hasn't called us in over three years. I was eager to find out the reason. Surely there must've been a good one.

"Why?" I retorted.

"What do you mean, why? Sarah, she's our mother! She's allowed to call us and check in on us."

"Yeah, tell me. Where was she when we needed her?" I retorted.

Joy remained silent. Point made.

My phone chirped and I read the text I got from Jamie.

"Listen, if you wanna get in touch with her, fine! But leave me out of this. I was never her favorite anyways." I added and got up.

"Sarah!..." Joy called after me but I didn't listen.

When I met Jamie at Starbucks he noticed that something was off.

"Hey. Everything alright?"

"Yeah, sure. Just had a lovely talk with my older sister." I truthfully said.

"Hm, older siblings can be a pain in the ass!"

That comment made me chuckle and I slowly loosened up.

"Anyway, how you been?"

"Good. Busy working on a new story." He answered.