Ch. 13

I make it throught breakfast alive and excuse myself after everyone has finished. I need to go back to my room and figure this out. I don't know what I was thinking.

The band, the crew, security, they all had no idea what was going on! Clearly I can't act weird around Zayn but I can't pretend nothing's wrong either. Sooner or later someone will notice.

"Great! I'm screwed." I say out loud.

As I walk down the corridor a hand grabs my shoulder. I turn around in panic, meeting Niall's piercing blue eyes.

"Damn, you scared me! Don't do that again." I say in between sharp breaths.

"Sorry. Can we talk?"

"Sure. My room's that way."

We walk side by side until we're standing in front of my door. I unlock it and step aside, allowing Niall to go in first.

He's incredibly silent, something I'm not used to from him. It makes me more and more suspicious. The look on his face doesn't help either. It's a mix of concern, sorrow and regret.

"What is it?" I finally exclaim.

"Huh?"

"You wanted to speak to me. What is it about?" I repeat, this time slower.

"Oh, yeah. I just wanted to know how you are. How you're feeling." He shots me a questioning look.

"Niall?"

"It means a lot to us that you came!" He eventually blurts out.

"I- Wait. Niall, I didn't have a choice! I had to come. Simon ordered it."

"Oh. So you didn't- I mean you-" His words remain stuck in his throat.

"I haven't changed my mind, if that's what you're saying." I retort.

"I know I promised not to tell anyone, but he came to me, a few days ago. Zayn. He was very sad. I knew he was thinking about you. I encouraged him to call you, but he said you wouldn't pick it up anyway."

"No, I probably wouldn't!" I truthfully say.

"Hear me out! He's sorry, alright? Ever though he can't show it, doesn't mean he's not regretting it!"

There's only one question on my mind. How did he react when he found out I was coming? Before I can open my mouth, Niall speaks up again.

"When we heard you were coming I urged him to call you anyway and sort things out before you two met. I'm guessing he hasn't called?"

"No. I'm jet-lagged. I'd like to sleep now."

Niall nods and opens the door.

"If he does come to talk to you, please hear him out!"

"I will."

"Promise?" He presses on.

"I promise."

He closes the door behind him and I let out a long sigh. I know I have to give him a chance to explain things, if that's really what he wants to do. Last time we spoke he played it down, as if it was nothing.