Ch. 10

"I'm sorry. What?" He asked again.

"We broke up! Even before that home story thing happened." I repeated.

I knew he had a hard time taking in the new information but I was sure it was okay to tell him. He was a good friend, maybe even more. I should be able to tell him intimate things about my life. Build up the trust between us.

"I heard you, Sarah. But I don't exactly understand why you would tell me something like that? The media thinks you and Zayn are lovey dovey, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be pissed if the truth came out." He added warily.

"I trust you Jamie! I trust that you won't run to Debbie with it. You're a really good friend. I don't want to have secrets from you."

His expression changed from shocked to delighted.

"Sarah... you have no idea how good this feels. Having someone tell you they trust you? It's the best feeling in the world! And don't worry. I won't ever say a thing!"

He got up and came round to hug me. From the corner of my eye I saw a figure lingering outside the window. I swear it looked exactly like my mother!

"So our date on Saturday is still on?" Jamie's voice brought me back to reality.

"Absolutely!" I replied with a big smile. I was relieved I got this off my chest. Who knew, maybe the friendship between Jamie and me would grow into something more.

After an hour I got a call from Joy. She wanted to see me and sounded worried so I told Jamie and we paid for our drinks. When we walked out of the coffee shop I motioned to where my car was parked and offered to take Jamie home. He said it was alright, he would spend some time in the city. He insisted to walk me to my car though, which I gladly accepted. But I had a funny feeling when I walked down the street with Jamie walking next to me. It was as if we were being followed.

When I arrived at Joy's I noticed the unfamiliar car that was parked in her parking space. Without giving it too much thought I rang her doorbell and climbed up the stairs. Her door was open and I slid in, calling out her name. Nobody answered and I grew more and more suspicious.

Eventually I found her standing on the balcony. But she wasn't alone. Mother was with her! So I was right? It was her I saw outside Starbucks?

"Hey." I said, causing both of them to turn around. Annoyance was written on both their faces.

"Sarah! What were you thinking?" Joy shot at me.

"Excuse me?"

"Darling, I told Joy about you meeting up with that reporter." Mother chimed in.

"First off, don't ever darling me again. Second, he's not a reporter, just an assistant! And third, it's none of your fucking business!" I stared her down but she didn't retreat.

"Sarah! Please don't tell me you told him about you and Zayn?" Joy demanded with a harsh tone.

"I did! And he promised not to say a word to anyone!" I spat back.

"What if he lied?" Mother chimed in again.

"Mother! Joy, can I speak to you alone?" I retorted.