Ch. 14

"Can I call someone in London on that phone?" I ask Kirsten that night when I meet her in the lobby.

"Sure, knock yourself out. The company's paying!" She replies with a wicked grin.

I know I have to talk to someone about what happened earlier today in Zayn's room, I just don't know who to call! You think it would be an easy answer. Joy! I tell her everything, she's my best friend. So why am I hesitating?

I quickly dial her number and press the <call> button. After the second ring Joy answers. She's clearly out of breath.

Hey. What's going on? Is it a bad timing?

No, no. Um, hi. Hey, glad you called.

Oh, shoot! Sorry, I forgot I promised to call you.

No worries. How's Argentina?

Hot. Humid. Boring.

Hm. Did you run into Zayn yet?

That's why I called you.

So you already talked to him?

Yes, I went and talked to him and he just...

...

Well, at least now you know he's a douchebag. You're better off without him.

I realize that now, but we still have to pretend to be madly in love. Most people don't know we broke up.

You can do that! Just keep in mind it won't be for much longer.

That's the only thing that keeps me going! I'll talk to you soon. Bye.

Bye little sis!

I hang up and groan in frustration. One week, one whole week, in which I have to portray the loving and supporting girlfriend. Yuck!

Four days later

I've been trying to call Joy each day for the past three days. Every time the call would either go directly to voicemail or the recorded voice message would inform me that she wasn't available at the moment. I started worrying but I refused to call mother.

On this morning I woke up feeling as if a bus hit me. I had stayed up all night, trying to get a hold of Joy. Kirsten joined me at breakfast and insisted I come to the club where they would celebrate a crew member's birthday tonight. I already told her I had a terrible migraine but she showed up two hours later with some painkillers at my door anyway.

My eyes were scanning the room for Zayn. I found him standing next to Louis and Liam and some  members from security I was never introduced to. I hesitated but waved at him when his eyes locked with mine. I remained in my spot though, close to the exit. I may not have had a migraine but I sure felt like crap. For the most part these past few days I succeeded in concealing my disappointment. Whenever Kirsten told me to be with Zayn I always made sure there were others around as well. Mostly it was Louis and Niall who came along as Zayn and I strolled through the venue, 'accidentially' posing for the paps.