Ch. 15

The next morning I woke up early and had breakfast in my room. I pulled out my laptop and various documents I always carried with me and sat down on the table.

Connor answered the phone after just a couple of second. He was obviously waiting for my call.

Sarah! I'm so sorry! Is there something I can do for you?

Yes, in fact. There is. You can tell me if she can do that. Take the company away from me like that, I mean.

All I know is that she has filed a complaint to the board members, saying you were inadequate for the job.

Inadequate? And how convenient to do that just a few weeks before my 21st birthday! And while I'm not in the country!

I guess she has been planning it for a while. But, are you okay?

I'm fine, Connor. Can you do me another favor? Can you dig up anything you can find on that adoption? When it was. Where it was. Anything you can find.

You got it!

Thanks. I'll talk to you soon. Bye.

Bye, Sarah!

When I hung up my coffee had turned cold. I put the cup back on the tray and locked myself in the bathroom.

Half an hour later I took a final deep breath before I opened the door of my room. I knew I couldn't hide any longer. The news had spread like wildfire. Everyone knew by now and everyone would treat me like I had a terminal illness.

"Sarah, you're late!" I heard Harry shout as soon as I walked throught the door of the restaurant.

I was glad he didn't jump up to hug me or anything like that. Instead he was acting very normal. And so did the rest. Probably received orders to not speak about my issues while I was present.

"I was busy upstairs, but my coffee turned cold." I exclaimed and proceeded to get a fresh one.

"Is your head okay?" Niall spoke with a full mouth.

"My head's fine, thanks." I replied and walked towards the door.

"Wait!" I heard Louis say. "Sit down. Drink your coffee here. Then you can go back."

I reluctantly obeyed. I had my phone with me anyway. If Connor called I wouldn't miss it.

As if on cue the phone rang. But it wasn't Connor. It was Joy.

Hey.

Hey! Hey?! What is wrong with you?!

Excuse me?

Why do you wanna know when and where you were adopted? It doesn't matter! It doesn't change things, you know?

How do you know about-

I asked this Connor guy to call me back every time he would talk to you. I wasn't sure if you would keep me posted.