Thranduil- Sneak Away King pt.1

Wow! Over 3,000 views! You guys are amazing! :D This oneshot is inspired by the art above, which I fell in love with. 

Legolas had noticed his father's mood gradually brightening over the past few months. He had never seen him so happy. The king began to rule more fairly than ever seen before, and that made the entire kingdom joyful. Happy king, happy kingdom, Legolas guessed. Though, the prince wondered what was causing Thranduil's sudden boost of cheerfulness. He didn't know for sure. 

Legolas thought of the possible things that could be making his father happy. Was a new wine being shipped to Mirkwood? Had the race of dwarves gone extinct? None of his ideas seemed likely, but one made perfect sense. 

King Thranduil was in love. 

This was a glorious realization for Legolas, but he did not know where his father had fallen in love. He spent his days busy ruling over his people with no lady in the throne beside him. And who was this mystery maiden? 

Legolas had questions, and he was determined to fine answers. 

Thranduil hummed as he covered his shoulders with the dark cape. He could still feel the dampness of the night before in its folds from when he sneaked out of his guards' watch. He held the cloth to his nose and inhaled. The scent of you, his secret lover, brought a smile to his lips. 

It was past midnight, and as far as the royal guards knew, their king was fast asleep in his chambers. As always, a pair of them stood just outside his door, and they would insist on escorting him to whatever place he had to go to at this hour, and would be confused if he told them not to follow. Their confusion would only start rumors, and Thranduil knew this. He couldn't let his kingdom know that he was sneaking about at night to meet with the beautiful gardener named (y/n).

(Y/n). You.

Thranduil was bubbling with the excitement of seeing you again as he lowered himself from his balcony and climbed down the ivy covered walls. You were worth risking his reputation and so much more to Thranduil. You made him feel young and immortal. Not the immortal he was now- an immortal that could never die, even if he was stabbed through the heart. As long as he had you with him, he was everlasting. You made him laugh. You made him cry. You were the light of his life, even through the dark nights he had to meet you in. As he would do tonight. 

Like all the times before, sneaking into the private garden was going well. Thranduil dodged the guards perfectly without fault. They didn't even notice him. He turned a sharp corner into one of the many gardens, but this one was special. It housed the most beautiful of flowers, but the most unique and stunning one was you. 

You were laying down on your side in a small field of grass, basking in the white light of the moon and admiring the stars. Absentmindedly twirling a silky lock of your hair around your finger, you were unaware of Thranduil's presence. Thranduil smirked and removed his cloak, carelessly tossing it to the side as he neared you sneakily. He kneeled down behind you, and dipped his head to press a warm kiss to your bare neck. His long hair tickled your shoulders. 

You gasped and rolled over to face him. Your face glowed at the sight of him above you. "My Love! There you are! I've been waiting here for hours! At least, it feels like hours."

Thranduil chuckled. "Sorry, Lady (y/n), my meeting today lasted longer than I wished. 

You smirked. "All is forgiven. And how many times must I tell you to call me (y/n)? We agreed to drop the formalities."

He raised your hand to his face and gave it a tender kiss before rubbing it against his cheek and saying, "At least once more, Lady (y/n)." You giggled and pecked his lips. He gazed down on you with adoration. "As always."