Prologue

I fumble with my key trying to unlock my hotel room door, muttering curses under my breath each time the red light denies me of entry. I kick the door furiously, and continue sliding the card into the slit all the while trying to keep my breathing even. I hear him come out of his room, walking towards me, his footsteps quick. A part of me didn't want to be mad, honestly. If anything it was good that he knew... I could finally talk to him about her.

I won't have to lie anymore.

He was a meter away from me when my key finally decides to work, and the door clicks open. I try closing the door behind me, but he makes it in time to stop it from closing with his foot. "Go away, Louis." I grumble, making my way across my hotel room. I look down at my phone and realize I've been gripping it tightly, my knuckles white. I toss it onto my bed, then turn to face him. "I'm not doing this right now."

"Who is she?" Louis asks cautiously. I knew he wanted answers, but didn't want to push me too far.

"A friend."

"Well, from what I saw on your phone..."

"That's exactly it!" I shout. I take a step back and a shaky breath in, trying to regain composure. It was late and people were sleeping, the last thing I needed right now was a noise complaint. "You had no right in going through my phone." I say, my voice much lower.

Louis' jaw clenches. "Before you wouldn't have had a problem with it. You've never hid things from me."

"I'm allowed privacy, Louis. I'm allowed to have secrets!"

"Not with your best friend!" Louis shrieks, throwing his hands up. "I tell you everything!"

I stay quiet a minute, then look down. This wasn't how I wanted to tell him about her, because I would have told him eventually. 

I take a seat on the edge of the bed and put my face in my hands. It wasn't that I was embarrassed or afraid to tell him, but I did fear any negative reaction that could burst whatever fairy-tale bubble I had been living in recently. "I can't tell you right now." My voice comes out softer than I thought it would, any trace of anger gone. 

"Harry... please."

I look over to my phone on the bed, weighing my options and considering any last minute ideas for an excuse, then finally turn and meet Louis pleading eyes. "Alright, fine. You really want to know?"

Louis nods. 

Finally finding my words and bracing myself for the worst I look my best friend in the eyes, draw in a deep breath and sit up straight.

"I'm in love with a girl I've never met before."