Chapter Forty-Two

[editing]
Parker's sleeping over. He showered while I ate dinner with mom and grandma. When I was done with dinner I found him in my room looking at something on his phone. I leaned against the door frame and crossed my arms over my chest. "What are you looking at?" I ask.

"Snapchat," he answered. I walked over and plopped down on the bed next to him. He was looking at someone's story.

"Who's story is that?" I ask.

"Tyler's."

"Oh."

"Don't worry. It's boring anyways," he says exiting it.

"Why are you friends with him?" I ask.

"I don't even know why I'm friends with half the people I am anymore." He looks down.

"That's why I don't have many friends. It's easier to be alone. People can't hurt you as easily."

"I'm sorry," Parker says.

"For what?" I ask softly.

"I know I hurt you." he cut off my protests. "Just let me explain. I still remember that night perfectly. I dream about it sometimes. I was just so mad at you. It seems stupid now, but we never kept secrets from each other and when you wouldn't tell me I lost it. I thought our relationship was one of the most trustoworthy ones you could be in. I'm sorry Jenny."

"I could have told you, but I just wasn't ready and I'm still not ready. I hope you understand that," I say quietly. He takes my hand and I shiver at the touch.

"It's okay. I understand if you won't tell me at all," he says.

"I'll tell you. I'm just deciding when the right time is," I say. He nods his head and then picks up his phone. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"Snapchatting," he answers. I didn't get it. Then I did.

"No," I answer immediately.

"Come on. It's only one picture," he reasons.

"No," I repeat. I bury my head in his shoulder and wait for him to put his phone down. He didn't. Then he finally took the picture. He showed it to me and I cringed. "I hate you," I mumble.

"No you don't," he says wrapping an arm around me.

"I know," I mutter. I look up and see him smiling. I turn over and grab the TV remote and turn the TV on. I have the Apple TV in my room, so I go to Netflix to find somethin thta will appeal to me.

"What are you putting on?" he asks.

"I don't know, what do you want to watch?" I ask.

"Let's watch The Possesion," he suggusts.

"Fine." I sigh. "But if I get scared, it's your fault that we'll be sleeping with the lights on." All Parker does is laugh. I roll my eys and press play. I got up and shut my door. Then I turned my lights off. I walked back over to the bed and sat back down. I leaned my head on Parker's shoulder and found his hand. I grabbed it and wrapped my fingers in his. I felt him squeeze and I squeezed back a little harder. It was a game of ours we used to play. Whoever cried out in pain first lost. Most of the time I lost, but this time I had the drive to win no matter how badly it hurt.

"Ouch!" Parker cried.

"Ha!" I said excitedly. "I win."

He shakes his head at me and rolls his eys. "Whatever. Now be quiet the movie is starting." I smiled in my victory and settled back in.

"You know what this reminds me of?" I ask.

"How we used to watch movies?" he guessed.

"How did you know?" I ask.

"Because I was thinking the same thing." He smiles down at me and I return it. This was like old times. The only difference is that my feelings have shifted.