Chapter Thirty-Two

"What?" I heard. My head snapped up and I saw Parker.

"Can I come in?" I asked.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because it's raining and I'm cold and I may or may not need a place to sleep," I tell him. He steps to the side and I walk past him and into the foyer.

"Mom!" Parker hollared.

"What?" She called back. I think she was in the kitchen.

"Jenny's here," he stated. Then I saw Mrs. Brookes walk to us from the kitchen.

"Hello Jenny. What can I do for you?" She flashes a smile, and I give my best effort to give her a reassuring one back.

"I need somewhere to stay tonight," I explain. She gives me a puzzling look and I continue. "My mom and I got into a fight."

"Of course. Would you like a change of clothes dear? You look cold," she points out.

"You don't have to," I say.

"But I'm going to anyways. I'll be back. If you need anything Parker will get it for you," she shot daggers at him and I smiled as he rolled his eyes. I watched as Mrs. Brookes walked upstairs.

"Do you guys have any coffee made?" I ask softly.

"Yeah," he answers.

"Can I have some?"

"Sure." He walks into the kitchen and I follow. I stand at the edge of the island instead of sitting down and getting everything wet. When he was done pouring it he handed it to me. "Can I have the cream?" I ask.

"Already did it," he says.

"Like everything?"

"Mm-hm," he says drinking from his own mug. I look down at the mug he gave me. It was my mug, well the mug I would always use when I would be over here years ago. It was the mug that said "coffee is for closers" and had a Fall Out Boy logo on it.

"You still have this mug?" I ask in bewilderment.

"Why wouldn't I?" He set his mug down and looks at me.

"I don't know. Maybe because," but I was cut off by Mrs. Brookes who just walked in.

"These are some of my old things. They should fit." She hands them to me and then looks past me. "Parker Brookes what are you doing drinking coffee this late at night?" I took a sip of my own to try and hide the smirk dancing on my lips.

"Jenny wanted some," he said casually.

"Sorry Mrs. Brookes. I'm just used to having coffee every night. It helps me sleep," I lie.

"Oh, well then you should go change and have no problem falling asleep," she smiles at me and I smile back.

"But mom," Parker says, "we don't have a guest room. Where will she sleep?"

"She can sleep in your room," Mrs. Brookes tells us. I nearly spit out my coffee.

"What?" Parker and I asked in unison.

"But mom where am I supposed to sleep?" He whines.

"With Ryan?" She said it like she was unsure of her answer.

"He has someone over," he points out.

"Who?" I ask.

"One of our cousins," he snaps.

"Well she has no other place to sleep. Figure it out Parker. I'm not in the mood to argue." She spins out of the kitchen and I hear her footsteps on the stairs. I stood there at the edge if the counter silently drinking my coffee watching Parker. He was pissed. It was all over his face. He picks up his coffee and starts to walk away. When he reaches me he stops.

"If you move anything out of place I'll kick your ass," he warns.

"I'm sleeping, not cleaning," I remark. He glares at me and then leaves, but I don't know to where. I didn't care where. I cared about why he was acting so mean to me when we were laughing together only hours before.