Chapter Seventeen

[edited]
Three weeks have passed and now we were three days away from the Fourth of July. I didn't have anything special planned. I never do. Mom and I used to go out for dinner and then watch the town's firework display on the big hill in the park. We haven't done that for the past two years though. She has been out of her room for the past week cooking meals, but that was it. It's a start, but a super small one. She doesn't go out to the store with me, or anywhere else I go. She doesn't talk much, but it was comforting to know that she was up and about again. I already asked her if she wanted to go to the fireworks this year, but she said no. No one invited me, and going alone was frowned upon because you should be there with someone. They were really amazing. I wouldn't go alone. It wouldn't be as fun.

It was the middle of the day and I was sitting on my roof blogging. Yes I have a blog and I had a lot of people telling me it was good. Right now I was working on my latest blog on what I like to eat in the Summer. I write about all sorts of things, but right now I was in the mood for food. I did a blog last week on softball and how great I was doing. Then the week before last week I did a blog on music and what kinds of music cheered me up and things like that. I babysat Ashleigh three times, once a week for the past three weeks. I made sixty each time. That's one-eighty in three weeks. That's more than I have ever made in a month!

Other than that thoug, the past three weeks were uneventful. It only consisted of softball, swimming, eating, sleeping, blogging, reading, and babysitting. My phone vibrated in my pocket. I grabbed it and saw that Ryan was calling. I sighed. I didn't have anything against him, everyone knows that. It's just that when I am blogging I want to be left alone because if I get interupted my thoughts will scatter.

I hit the answer button and spoke. "Hey Ryan, what's up?"

"You sound in a good mood," he says sarcastically.

"Sorry I'm working on a blog," I apologize.

"Oh, sorry I didn't know. You want me to call when your done?" He asks.

"No it's alright. I'm almost done," I say.

"Okay great. Are you doing anything for dinner tonight? My mom was wondering if you want to join us," Ryan explains.

"Tell her thanks, but no thanks. My mom is cooking something for us," I explain.

"Oh that's awesome. What is she making?" He asks.

"She insisted on it being a surprise so I don't know yet," I state.

"Nice. Well that leads me to my next question-" I interupt him.

"Which is?"

"You want to come to the fireworks with us this year? Your mom can come too if she wants," he mentions.

"You won't be able to get her to come. I asked her a million times already and she said no each time. I'll go though," I say.

"Awesome we will be over there in an hour," he tells me.

"Whoa, wait. In an hour? Aren't they the day before the fourth?" I ask confused.

"Jenny today is the third," he says in a "duh" voice.

"Alright, alright. I'll see you in an hour," I say.

"Oh, and dress nice," he adds.

"Why would I dress nice?" I ask.

"Isn't it obvious?"

"No it isn't," I say, trying not to snap.

Ryan groans and then speaks. "Parker is going to be there and I'm going to make sure you two sit by each other."

"Ryan!" I cry, but I heard the click of an ended call before I could say anything else. I was going to ride in a car for twenty minutes with the Brookes to see a firework display that lasted two hours. Parker is going to be there and I am most likely going to be the one who sits by him in the car and on the hill. What did I get myself into?