Chapter Thirty-Six

[edited]
After running non-stop to the hospital, I was sweaty, tired, and out of breath. I could see the hospital a couple yards ahead of me. I could have walked, but I charged forward and gave it my all. When I burst through the doors a wave of air conditioning hit my face. I ran over to the front desk.

"Where's my mom?" I asked breathlessly.

"Who's your mom?" She asked.

"Dr. Caligney. Where is she?" I asked.

"Caligney," the clerk repeated under her breath multiple times.

"Just tell me where her goddamn room is!" I hissed.

She shrank back in her chair. "Room 358," she squeaked. I nodded my head and ran to the elevators, but skidded to a halt as I almost ran into a man passing by. I pressed the up button multiple times before the door finally opened. I walked in trying to be calm in case anyone else walked in. I lowered my head into my hands. Why did this have to happen to her? To me? The thoughts kept creeping into my mind. I couldn't stop them.

I heard multiple foot steps enter the elevator. I looked up and didn't recognize anyone. I lowered my head again. The elevator doors were closing. "Wait!" I heard someone shreak. I looked up, but couldn't see very well since my vision was blurry from the tears forming in my eyes. "Thanks," the same voice said. It sounded familiar. I wiped my eyes and tried to focus on everyone.

"Jenny!" I heard. It was the same voice. I looked to my right and saw Parker. He stepped over to me so he was in front of me.

"Parker," I hissed, "what are you doing here?"

"I ran after you," he answered.

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to make sure you were okay," he tells me.

"Why would you care?" I ask.

"Well after last night," he says quietly.

"Oh," I whisper. He nods his head and then looks at me.

"Are you okay?" Parker asks.

"No," I say honestly. We were quiet after that. Once the elevator arrived at the third floor both of us stepped off. I traveled the halls in silence searching for my mom's room. Finally I found it and burst inside. There she was, laying in a hospital bed with a hospital gown. I approached the bed side carefully and placed my hands on the side guard rail. She was pale and fragile looking. There were monitors surrounding her steadily beeping. I heard footsteps behind me.

"Jenny I don't think we are supposed to be here," he says.

"I don't care," I tell him. I feel him next to me now. I look over at him. His face looked pained, but I don't know why. It's not his mom in the hospital for reasons I don't know.

"Jenny we should go," Parker says.

"Why is she here?" I ask him.

"I don't know, but if we leave and find a doctor I'm sure we will find out," he says.
"Hey!" I turn around and see a doctor. "You aren't supposed to be in here."

"What happened to her?" I say.

"We don't know yet. We have doctors running tests on her now," he explains.
"How do you not know what happened?" I hiss. "You're supposed to be a doctor. Doctors fix people."

"Jenny," Parker scolds from behind.

"I want to know what happened to my mom Parker," I say.

"Wait, that's your mom?" the doctor asks.

"Yeah, why?" I ask.

"You're Jenny? Dr. Caligney's daughter?" he looked shocked.

"That's what mom means doesn't it?" I say with an attitide.

"Be nice," Parker warns from behind.

"She talks about you all the time," the doctor says.

"She does?" I ask.

"All the time. She always talks about how proud she is of you and how she knows you are going to have a fantastic future," he explains.

"Really?"

"She does. And when we know what is wrong I will give you a call. We started running tests this morning. They should be here by tonight, or early tomorrow morning. Just go home and relax. Stress is the last thing anyone needs in this situation," the doctor says.

"Are you a friend of hers?" I ask.

"Kind of. She doesn't talk to many people. She focuses on her job most of the time, but when we do talk it's mostly about you. She loves you Jenny. She just has a hard time exprressing it," he says.

"Oh," is all I say. He nods his head.

"I'm sorry, but you need to leave now. We'll give you a call when we get the test results." He steps aside and I walk towards the door. I look back and see Parker talking to the doctor. I looked forward and then walked out of the room completely. What are they talking about? Are either of them going to tell me? Is Mom going to be okay? The doctor said she loves me. She's proud of me. It's a start. One small step forward.