eighteen | 18

A/N: This might be the longest chapter so far, but it's an important one. I hope you don't mind. Enjoy! 

P.S. Ain't this H just wow.

be·lieve

Harry.

Two weeks. It's been two whole fucking weeks.

The adrenaline pumped through my body as I pulled my body up on the bar, one after another. I'd done well over a hundred pushups, ran on the treadmill for a half hour, and deadlifted a time and a half of what I normally lift.

What did I say to make her disappear for so long? My past would never let anyone get close to me. My past has fucking ruined me. I can't even manage to gain a friend from it. It didn't seem like she was bothered by what I'd told her. Maybe it was that damn hug I gave her in the end. It seemed right at the time. It's not as if I was trying to make a move or get close to her. That wasn't my intention. Shit. Maybe that's how she saw it.

I scared her off. I'm a fucking idiot.

A pathetic laugh escaped my lips as I exhaled through the struggles of my workout. Beads of sweat dripped down my neck to the rest of my body. My muscles felt like they were on fire, but I wasn't going to give them a rest. The sweater I wore earlier was discarded long ago, leaving the tank still remaining; it too though, was soaked. My shorts swayed as my body moved up and down. The white laces on my shoes were tightly tied; yet I knew the soles would be completely destroyed by the time I finished.

I counted down the last five pull ups, then let go of the bar, my feet landing on the ground. I bent down slightly, resting my hands on my knees, as I caught my breath. Picking up my water bottle and drenched my throat with the cool liquid as it ran down. My ears perked up as I heard my name being called and I looked around to see one of my close friends walking towards me.

"Mate, where've you been? We've been calling you for days and you haven't been picking up." Liam said as he neared me.

"I'm around. Here and there." I answered, simply.

"That's quite descriptive."

"Well, go fuck yourself; because that's all you're getting." My teeth gritted, as I walked away from him. Nobody deserved an explanation. It wasn't two seconds after, that my body was slammed back into a wall. Liam's arm pressed harshly on my chest as he glared at me with the darkest look I'd ever seen from him.

"What the fuck is the wrong with you? I've had enough of your shit, and honestly, the rest of your guys have too. No one's saying anything, because we don't want to hurt your feelings, especially since —"

"Fucking don't." I warned, my eyes narrowing at him, and shoved him off my body. Liam was strong, not much more than me; but our body physiques made it seem like he was from the showcase of his muscles.

"As I was saying, we don't want to —"

"What's the point? I have no feelings, so you don't even have to worry about them, because they don't fucking exist anymore."

"Bullshit and you know that." He pointed directly at me. "I heard what happened, Harry. The shooting that happened on 27th a couple weeks ago; you had something to do with it, didn't you?"

Shit.

"No." I flatly replied.

In all honesty, I wasn't lying. I dealt with 47 before his death. I wasn't the one who killed him. Sure I might have shot at him, but I didn't entirely hurt the man.

"Harry, when will you stop lying? You know Mariano worked for me, right? He was killed, shot to death. His family has absolutely nothing now."

Fucking shit. I'd completely forgotten that Liam was the CEO of his own company and knew the ins and outs of every single employee he had. It'd never occurred to me that Mariano was actually employed. Somehow that tiny detail seemed to miss his file. It all made sense now as to how he managed to pull off the fact he had a normal job to his wife and kids.