CHAPTER 1

Simon

I sighed as I hurriedly ate cereal despite it being 3:20 pm on a Wednesday. I cursed as milk dribbled out of my mouth and I left the bowl in the sink, grabbing tissue to wipe my chin. I took the car keys and headed for the car.

Duncan, my youngest ran behind me to catch up. I buckled him in and got in the car.

"Tell me again, why I'm doing this?" I asked him feeling tired.

"Because, you are my dad, you must be involved in my life." The ten year old said firmly with a nod and I chuckled as I drove down the street, heading for his school.

"So, tell me about your new best friend." I caught his excited grin as I said best friend.

"Oh, she's pretty, you'll like her. Very friendly and she's new to school."

"Oh? How new?"

"She got here just last week! From Russia! Isn't that cool!" Duncan wiggled excitedly. "She's really funny because she always looks so serious," he snickered. "Even if you tell a really funny joke."

"She sounds nice," I rolled my eyes at how absolutely in love he sounded. We pulled up to the school and Duncan had already got himself free. I sighed and got out, "hey! Wait for me!" I whined and he stopped, jumping around and whining as well.

"Do you have to be so slow!?" I rolled my eyes.

"You're very mean to me today." He grabbed my hand then and pulled me along. It wasn't that we were late to the parent teacher conference. He just really wanted to see his best friend.

I laughed as he pulled me along, internally, I was whining at my pup's enthusiasm for someone other than me. We rounded a corner and I felt myself stumble. I froze as the scent caught my attention. My smile dropped suddenly and Duncan let go of me.

I blinked, my breathing picked up, unsure if I was dreaming, but it was unmistakable. My subconscious pawed at my mind.

Mate. It said simply and I sniffed, feeling a sense of urgency in my mind and I blinked, shaking my head

Impossible. I thought and a whimpered left me. I can't.. It's... Not possible.

Mate. My feet began to move towards the classroom my son had entered. As though in a trance, my breath caught at the sight of him.

The man was tall, tan and very handsome. He had a blank stare fixed on the teacher, his blue eyes unblinking and his thick black hair combed perfectly. His suit made me bite my lip and I felt my legs begin to shake. Mate.

I blinked and tried to move my gaze from him, but it felt impossible. He blinked and turned his head, meeting my gaze. I felt my conscious whine and roll onto his back in submission. This was so surreal. I had forgotten how powerful a mating pull could be. How it rendered you a complete stuttering and frozen mess. I felt my cheeks colour and the man looked away from me to the teacher who spoke to him.

"Dad!" I blinked rapidly at the sound of my son, my instincts to protect and nurture kicking in. I looked down at my son who held the hand of a beautiful girl. She had blue eyes and blonde hair, she was adorable as she stood beside Duncan. "This is Katya! My best friend." I bent down and smiled at the girl who held her hand out.